SubscribeBreeding danios
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Well, my fusca have eaten some of my danios, so i'm wating to have a shot at breeding some.

It seems to be written about in many old books, but not many people do it, so i'm curious, is it very tricky or something?

What is the best way to go about it?

And how do you sex a danio?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 12:48Profile PM Edit Report 
T/A

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1796
male usa
If you're talking about Zebra Danios, sexing them is tricky sometimes. The females are normally plumper than males. And if I remember correctly, the males have a slight yellow color to their white stripes.

As for breeding them, there are many different tank setups you could try. But the easiest method I've heard of involves a standard 10 gallon tank. What you want to do is add about one to two inches of glass marbles as a subsrate. Then add just enough water to go about two to three inches above the marbles. That will allow most of the eggs to fall into the marbles and away from the adults. You still need to remove the adults after they spawn because once the fry start swimming they will become snacks for the adults.
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2006 07:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tinfoil
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 252
Votes: 1
male netherlands
I agree with T/A completely.

Another option is to make it a little more natural;
large pebbles for substrate and some feathery plants like limnophila aquatica or myriophyllum; danios like that to shed their eggs in.
I'd say you just put in a school of well fed, adult danios and raise the temperature to some 27-28 °C, that should do the trick.

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2006 21:48Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
When I was cycling my Betta tank with six Zebra Danios they actually did breed. It was just after that I had to replace the tank as it had sprung a leak. I did have some floating water sprite in the tank. If they can breed and the fry survive in a cycling tank I dont think there should be any problem in breeding them.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2006 02:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies