AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cyprinid Corner
  L# Would A Small Group Of Barbs Make Good Dorm Fish?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWould A Small Group Of Barbs Make Good Dorm Fish?
heatherfeather
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
female usa
any help would be great, or if you know of any fish besides a betta that would make great dorm fish...

thanks!

"I'm not a Guppy!" - Flounder
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 06:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california
EditedEdited by Natalie

What species of barb were you looking at? The usual size limit for a dorm tank is like 10 gallons, but most commonly available barbs grow too large to be kept in a 10 gallon tank.

Cherry Barbs or some of the smaller African barbs (Barbus spp.) might work, or you could do with some small tetras or danios.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 08:38Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
Cherry barbs would be excellent small tank fish. They stay small and are very cute. What size tank is it?

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 14:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
A warning: while most Barbs are pretty tough fish, most of them also tend to grow pretty big. (I'm thinking specifically of Rosy, Golden and Odessa Barbs -- all of which are excellent fish in every other way: tough, pretty, and far more peaceful than the notoriously nippy Tiger Barb. But they do grow to pretty big size eventually.)
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 14:49Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
heatherfeather
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
female usa
thanks!

um yes the tank size limit is 10g where im staying on campus but i think i could get away with at least a 12g (i really like the nano cube or something like it)

im not sure what kind of barb i would have wanted, but if they do grow to big for the tank size then im open for some other hardy exciting fish!

"I'm not a Guppy!" - Flounder
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 19:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Cherry barbs, only get to be about two inches. You could go with three females and one male in a ten gallon. It would be fine. They are not schooling, so don't need to be in large groups like the rest of the barb and tetra species. If you wanted, you could also have one dwarf gourami, or a couple of ottos.
Post InfoPosted 20-Sep-2006 04:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies