SubscribeJava Fern
kegman75
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
male canada
EditedEdited by kegman75
After years of plastic plant aquarium then more years of chiclids which eat and dig real plants. Ive decided to try a community tank with some angels and real plants. (Ive kept amazon swords before had a huge one that my chiclids didnt seem to bother and vals grass before) Ive bought a decent size jave fern and stuck it in the bottom of a upside down clay pot this should take shouldnt it or would a more porous type of rock be better??
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2009 04:46Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
In your case your guess would be as good as mine in that one.
All you can do is try it and see what happens.
It actually has a fine root structure, it will have to be tied down firmly I always use 15lb nylon fishing line, reason being if those roots move around they will not be able to get a grip and start growing.

I always prefer to attach plants to a Drift Wood that has a softer outer and the plants can start to grip and grow a lot faster. That does not mean they will not grow on rocks.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2009 10:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
POrous rock or DW would be better, a caly pot is good for now IMO but as you progress with keeping more and more live plants you'll want a more natural scape and evolve with more naturals stuff (DW, rock work, etc)... If you aren't ready for that the java fern will be fine, but It will gorw faster and better on a piece of DW and if not a porous rock is the next best bet.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2009 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kegman75
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
male canada
ok thanks
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2009 18:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies