SubscribeAquarium Chemistry
ipsomatic9
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
male usa
Hi all.

I've recently undertaken a 2.5 gallon pico reef project. So far, so good. But I was wondering... how does one determine whether or not essential elements should be added. I've been dosing with Essential Elements and Coral-Vite semi-randomly. Because of the size I have to change the water daily... sometimes twice daily. But I'm not sure is evaporation (something that is a constant occurance) and filtration are taking the beneficial elements out of the water and if so to what degree. My corals are opening up, and my fauna are doing pretty well too (1 blue leg hermit, 1 margaritta snail, and one yellow watchman goby).

Any advice as to how to gauge when I should be added supplements and what kind would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

"A fish swims through the sea, while the sea is in a certain sense contained within the fish."
-mewithoutYou
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2009 20:27Profile PM Edit Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
In a very small tank like yours I would recommend not dosing any chems and simply rely on water changes to get the job done for you. Get a good quality salt that keeps params where you want them and do half the water every week. Between water changes I'd simply maintain a steady salinity. Good luck to ya!

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 17:21Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ipsomatic9
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks! Appreciate the advice.

What would you say about a creative way to accurately control water temperature?

"A fish swims through the sea, while the sea is in a certain sense contained within the fish."
-mewithoutYou
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 01:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
You could use a fan and heater controlled by a temp probe. I think the aquacontrollers do that. Pretty expensive for a little tank though. Maybe just find out when your tank gets too hot and have a fan on a timer.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 17:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Temp control in a small tank is difficult but is controlable. As Matty said...the use of a fan blowing over the top of the tank will help keep your temps down....just remember that it will also increase evaporation. Watch your salinity, because in a small tank a little evaporation can raise your salinity quite a bit.

When I had a 2.5g up and running I had a fan over it and had to top it off 2 times a day to keep the salinity in values...an auto top off in the form of a drip line may be needed
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 02:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ipsomatic9
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks guys!

I already have a fan blowing over the top of the tank. It comes on with the lights every morning and turns off every night when the lights go off. This is because the office that I have it in does not heat the rooms over night and I've found the tank water very cool in the mornings when I get in. Though it would be GREAT if I could get rid of the fan... it's not the most quite thing in the world and it's pretty ugly too.

Also, I am currently working up an idea for an auto top off system. The problem being how to control timing of the delivery since the water does not evaporate predictably.

I'm also not convinced that my heater is functioning properly, which is kinda disappointing since its a new one.

-mewithoutYou
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
For the auto top off on my nano I used a top off similar to this one...this one actually looks like its better. The page gives you DIY instructions and you can round up the pieces yourself, or you can buy the kit from them.

http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 10:05Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ipsomatic9
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks! However, I'm not too sure that it would fit in my stocked 2.5-er.

I'm trying to come up with a non-electrical solution. I'm having trouble finding some kind of float valve that's small enough for what I need. So mean while I'm stuck with turkey basting my top off water.

-mewithoutYou
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 00:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
A small non electic float is gonna be hard to find. Ill do a little asking around tho and see what I can come up with for you
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 02:45Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies