SubscribeBadly Wounded Cherry Barb
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Hi people

Last week I noticed my cherry barb had a pretty nasty bite mark on his side. You could see that some of his flesh was missing and all that was left was this little hole. I transferred him to my hospital tank and I've been treating him with Pimafix and Melafix, which is all that I have on hand. Today, the wound seems more ounced and swollen. Although he's swimming around fine and eating I am still concerned about this.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Thank you!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 02:16Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The Pimafix should help to stop any fungal infection and the Melafix again should help to reduce any stress. Keep the feeding to a minimum as you do not want to pollute the hospital tank.
My concern would be what caused the bite reason being when the CB goes back into the tank it will happen again. By any chance do you have a CAE in the tank?
If not what else is in the tank?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 08:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
EditedEdited by Mitchee
Hi Keith

Thanks for the reassurance. Here's my stocking list:

6 redeye tetras
1 zebra danio
1 serpae
2 tiger barbs

They are all in a 42G tall tank. They have been together now for almost 2 years without any problems whatsoever. I don't understand why this would be happening now.

I do believe that the culprits could be my redeye tetras. I currently have one of them in the hospital tank with my cherry barb (he's isolated), suffering from a bite mark on the front of his mouth. It seems to be healing pretty nicely right now.

The solution of course would be to remove the aggressive fish but I have no place for them. I can't try and give them to my LFS because all I have here is your chain store variety pet store.

I do have 2 10G guppy/neon tanks,(1 female only and 1 male only) so perhaps I could at least move my cherry barb into one of them?

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 16:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies