---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Anyone have first hand experience with one? I was given a script to have one done on my shoulder. Ultrasound shows bursitis which has been going on since the end of June. Yes, it took me to mid October to get myself into the dr, I thought it'd go away!

So far pain pills havent really worked, though I rejected the codeine prescription on the basis of last time it made me toss the cookies.

Anyone ever had an injection? did it work? and more importantly did it hurt?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 00:44Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
My mom had a few a while back in her hips because of arthritis (she got her hips replaced a few years after that). She said they hurt a bit to get the actual injections, but that they worked VERY well.

She'd been using a walker for the last year or so when she got her first injections. Her appointment was at 9am, and by the time I got home from school around 3, she had cleaned most of the house because she felt great and 'felt like getting some cleaning done'. For the following few months, she only used a cane occasionally, but walked freely most of the time. The injections only lasted a few months, though. I'm not sure if it's different for shoulders (or what cortisone does for bursitis, as opposed to arthritis), but it was only a temporary fix for my mom's arthritis.

Either way, good luck
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 06:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Can you ask her hurt worse than a shot or bloodwork? I'm assuming so, is it true they use a really big fat needle?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 10:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have had the stinking stuff as eye drops over the years BUT it is on the BIG NONO for me and can only be prescribed by my Eye Dr. Because of my eye problems it is extremely dangerous in any form.
I would do a bit of research and ask the Dr stacks of questions. To be on the safe side get your eyes tested for pressure "Glaucoma" it is a problem you can easily have and not know you have it.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 10:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
Okay, I just talked to her about it. She said that they used a really long needle on her, but it wasn't too horridly big around. She said that they do inject a local anesthetic before they actually inject the cortisone. She also said that they had something set up so they could see where the needle was going inside (something like ultrasound, but fancier, I guess). She said it hurt a bit, but not too bad at all. (Note, she had 3 injections 4 months apart).

She said it should work good for something temporary like bursitis, as long as you can get it under control before it wears off. Her first cortisone shot only worked for about 3 months, the 2nd for about 2 months, and the 3rd didn't work at all. So she suggests getting the shot, getting to the root of the problem, and fixing it. She said that a change in diet may help... maybe talk to your doc about that?

Lemme know if there's anything else you want me to ask her
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 14:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
thanks waffley and mom!

I'm scared of the shot, but the pain killers/anti inflammatory the dr prescribed hasn't helped, I still wake up whimpering. the big mystery is we don't know what caused the bursitis in the first place! My only guess is too much computer work which made me think Carpel tunnel first.
Ya, my paperwork is for a dr and an ultrasound so I'll have to schedule well in advance.

Keith I used to get tested once a year with my eye dr, don't remember getting a test done when i was in seeing one here though, do I have to request a test be done? It's standard procedure once every year (or two for younger folks maybe ) in the states.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 23:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Babel,
Susan had them in her lower back prior to her surgery.
With each they administered a mild IV anesthetic, versa id.
The first shot lasted her 24 hours. The relief was
immediate, but not long lasting. The second shot several
weeks later resulted in extremely more pain. She came out
in more pain than when she went in. The net result, with
her, was that they did three spine surgeries in five weeks.
She is now pain free, and regaining her strength and
balance.

The results vary from person to person, and the duration
of the results also varies from person to person. As
was mentioned earlier, for many of the injections, they
do give a local prior to the main injection. With Susan,
because of the pain she was already in, and that they were
working on the spine, they gave her a general anesthetic.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 04:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Thanks frank
You have me scared, I remember when that second shot gave her more pain, I remember cringing as I read about it in chat . I was all set to call the lab and set up something till i read that.

Granted we come home from running around trying to find halloween stuff yesterday, and my wrist (same arm) has started hurting so bad that I cant flex up or down. So sick of pain, I may just have to risk it being worse. As for talking with my dr, we just moved and I don't really trust the one we found in the yellow pages, not with something like this.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 23:32Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Babelfish,
I'm really sorry that I frightened you with my response.
When Susan went in for her first, the doctors were
optimistic that it would last her long enough, a few
months, so that she could go through physical therapy and
not need the spine surgery. Instead, it lasted 24 hours and
then she was back on some really high power (nice) drugs.

The same doctor that did the first injection did the second
so it was not a matter of confidence or skill, it is just
one of the possible results.

One "trick" you might use to find a reliable, and good
doctor is to ask Adam's and/or your Doctor who they would
go see if they had your problem and needed a cortisone
shot. Susan's spine surgeon was the recommendation of
several of Susan's doctors. Essentially, he was the doctor
that the other doctors would or had gone to see.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 23:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Bursitis is a doozy. Mum had that years ago from a very light horse nip to her elbow (not mine, a cruelty case, I suspect she looked like food) and it played up for years. It was just a bit of pressure in the wrong spot while she had it bent, very odd.

I don't think she had cortisone shots though. I'll ask her tomorrow.

Seriously though, you definitely do not want this to be a chronic condition. I hate loathe and detest invasive procedures, injections included, but chronic pain is not something you should put up with, especially as high up as your shoulder. You can't even brace that puppy

In the meantime, maybe glucosamine might offer some relief? I know it isn't really ideally suited, but you never know.

(is "toss the cookies" a polite term for something else, or did you actually throw biscuits?)

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 14:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
Calla, "toss the cookies" = "regurgitate" o.O
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Well, monday I was finally convinced to call and make an appointment. Everyone seems to agree it's the best thing. I figured (based on what the doc said) that they wouldn't have anything for a few days, lo and behold they had one for the next day at noonthirty.

Out of pocket cost to me $300, and adam taking a sick day.

Tuesday I get up, feel generally ok (other things were going on) breakfast, realize my shoulder doesn't hurt much, test it out by scrubbing down the shower, still didn't hurt, so after shower and dressing decide that the cost and the fear of the needle scared the bursitis away and cancel my appointment two hours before hand.

Adam and I head to the old house to finish cleaning up, after a mid avro lie down guess what kicks up again!

It's not so bad that I wake up whimpering at odd hours of the night, but that could just be because I took 4 days off from using it much which is very difficult to do when planning an openhouse and halloween do!

Calla let me know what your mum did, and yeah, toss the cookie, is chunder.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 00:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
I have given these before. It is worse than blood work. However, it seems that this must really be bothering you, as it seems you don't really go to dr much. This is a treatment that is minorly invasive, no surgery or such. Many people find relief, some do not.

Good luck, I would recommend trying the shot before you try more invasive therapy.
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 14:07Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 216
male usa
EditedEdited by reun
hi babel! I do not have first hand experience, but, my father has had many of them for back injuries. the first ones are a breeze, after that it seemed that they caused more pain with each injection and lasted less and less time before the pain resumed.

His first injection lasted almost 2 weeks of almost no pain, and the last set he went in for many years later only lasted about 8 hours,lol.

he did notice around the area he had a outbreak of pimples for about 2 days, not sure why, but it was how his body reacted. other than that he had no major side affects. a couple minor ones, but nothing bad enough to even mention.

EDIT:

oh, i should mention also, these were given due to 3 ruptured discs in his back, and they were shot into the disc through a rather long needle,lol. there ussually wasnt any pain untill the local anestetic wore off, and for the first few series of shots he said there was none at all.

im sure these are differant than what they will be giving you, but the steriod should be similar.
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2008 09:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies