L# More algae!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMore algae!
Aqua Newbie n MS
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 1
male usa
What can I do to encourage more algae growth in my tank for my rubber lipped pleco? I see him sucking on the glass for hours on end so I assume that there is some trace amount of algae there although it is not visible to me. I never scrub the sides or the back walls of the tank and only scrub the front wall sparingly. I supplement his diet with algae wafers that I see him nibbling on after they have dissolved and drifted into a sheltered corner of the tank. The only massive bloom of algae I've ever had in this particular tank was of brown algae when the tank was almost new.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 00:24Profile PM Edit Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
How many watts per gallon do you have? Is the tank planted?

Along with algae wafers you can supplement his diet with certain vegetables. I'm not sure what ones specifically though. You can also put rocks in buckets of water outside and then when they grow algae on them you can put them in the tank.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 00:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
r0b3y
---------------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 262
Votes: 41
male australia
i wouldnt try to encourage the growth of algae.. sumtimes you can end up with ALOT more then u wanted..
the wafers are more then enough..

r0b3y
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 02:40Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Aqua Newbie n MS
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 1
male usa
The tank has 2.5 watts per gallon of incandescant lighting. It is not planted. I figured real algae would probably be better for him than the wafers but I can certainly see how the algae could easily get out of control if I pushed it too much. Thanks.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
i have a 'leech' problem in my tank at the moment and they seem to have polished off every last inch of algae so my poor bn has to scrounge! i supplement his diet with brine shrimp pellets algae wafers and zucchini slices and spinich. they seem to like these..
they are many other veges they love as well.. they can either be raw or parboiled

but if any one has any ideas of how to grow more algae i would definately love to know!

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 04:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Add vegetables such as zuchini, squash, cucumber, mangos, even leafy foods like kale and lettuces. That's the most effective and healthy way to feed algae eating plecos. Even algae wafers have a bit too much meat and protein in them for algae eating fish so it's better to use the vegetables for the main part of their diet. For small algae eaters like otos it's usually suggested to place rocks in a jar or small tank and set it in sunlight but that probably wouldn't work for most plecos. You'd have to get a fairly large container and fairly large rocks and find a place where it could sit in full sun.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 05:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies