Subscribe10 Gallon Planted Log
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Thanks Ingo. I was just makeing sure. Would I trim the Hygro like the wisteria?

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2006 14:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Rick,

I trim my hygro differently. I pull out the whole plant, and then I cut off lower the side branches at their base. These would be ready then to be planted by themselves. The upper part of the main stem, and maybe the higher side branches (2 to 4) is then planted as well, after removing the bare bottom part of that stem.

I hope my explanation makes any sense, if not then feel free to force me to do better

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2006 14:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 5 Update

I just finished the trimming of the tank. I have been adding my fertilizers and have seen a lot of growth. The wisteria and hygro have been growing pretty fast. Even the crypt wendeti and Anubias have new leaves coming in. I have had a little bit of staghorn but only on the older hygo leaves. No other algae that I can see. The only plant that is not doing well is the balanase. It has hanging on but I don’t see a lot of new growth.

Thank Pic Week 5

The tank seems set up for the most part. I shouldn't need any more water changes excpet for an occasional one every couple months. Wish me luck!

I really like the ADA soil now. The growth is great, and once the plants start to root it really holds them well. Plus my water is crystal clear now so it apparently wasn't the soil that was clouding it. Also my pH is hanging around neutral.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 27-May-2006 20:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

Looking very nice, much clearer (except for the room light that reflects in the tank )

Glad to hear that all seems well, I will keep my fingers crossed for you on the no-water-change EI method.

If the Balansae is anything like my Crypt Retrospiralis then it can take a while until it is settled. But once this point is reached you better watch out (might get too tall and shade the other plants).

Foreground - any thoughts on what you would like to do with it? I know someone who says that Hair Grass is really taking off in ADA substrate. I don't remember, are you still on the 30W incand. or 20W PC? Might not work with this light, but buying one small pot should be enough to experiment.

Again, getting nice there,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-May-2006 22:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Thanks Ingo.

That reflection bugs me too. How do you guys get those straight on tanks shots with out any reflections. Masters please share your secrets.

The wisteria and Hygro are still growing good. Even the balanase is finally starting to look better on some of the plants.

I do have some algae growth coming in slowly. A mix of staghorn and hair algae. I just started the micros though so hopefully the tank will stabilize.

I don't know what I want to do with the foreground. I have 20W of light on the tank. I'd be afraid the hair grass would grow too tall for such a small tank. I'll have to think about that some more.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2006 22:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
When I cut the top of my westria off the new leaves came and they were all ugly and looked big no pattern.
Do you have a Co2 filter?

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2006 01:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

Taking pictures:

- Best done in a darkened room, like in the evening with no lights on but the tank light
- No flash use
- If exposure to long to get a sharp shot while holding camera, use a tripod or similar device

Or - Get a better camera

20W over 10G is not much, as you may know. I believe it would eliminate glosso or HC as options. Hair grass may or may not grow. On the other hand, you have an excellent substrate so maybe these plants would be ok. If hair grass is getting too tall, simply trim it like a lawn .

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2006 12:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 6 Update

Everything is going good this week. The hair algae has disappeared and after trimming some of the old Hygro leaves the staghorn is pretty much gone. Like everyone else on the board the wisteria is growing good and is really filling out the left side.

Here is the picture for this week. Thanks Ingo for the photography tips. While I can’t get a better camera right now, they did help eliminate the glare. Pardon the blurry ness though. I'll try to prop the camera up on something so it doesn't shake any next time.

Week 6 Pic

Also I finally have the tank stocked. Went the LFS on Saturday and my wife liked these Golden Tetras. I bought six for the tank. When I got home I realized that they gave me 8. I am a little concerned about being over stocked but all seem to be doing well. No Ammonia or Nitrites yet but I’ve got an extra packet of cycle handy if they start showing up. It's very cool watching them eat, the look like little shiny gold streaks in the water. They also love the wisteria as they swim in and out of all the stems.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2006 15:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Looking nice Rick

I still think that your tank could handle more plants, in particular the spot in front of the driftwood base seems too vacant. How about a small crypt or some nana petites for that spot? Or maybe a small narrow leaf java fern?

Glad to hear that all seems to be going your way, just keep an eye open for ammonia and such as adding 8 fish to a 10G at once is a major change.

Ingo

PS: When can we see a picture of these fishies?

Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2006 15:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hi Rick

Your tanks looking very nice and very clear. I hope you're liking the substrate as well as I do. Hope your golden tetras settle in happily. Looked up their profile and they are very pretty.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 00:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Ingo, Robyn

Thanks for the complements. Your tanks have been very helpful in teaching me what I need to do so you all get some of the credit!

I defiantly have room on the right to plant some more and I may look for something to fill in the bottom right. Right along the front I would want something that stays very low. Could I plant a petite right in the gravel?

And a few more pictures. I seem to be getting a better hang on my camera. Although the close ups still have a little blurr, but the are alright for a low end camera.

First a clear tank shot.
Week 6 Full Tank

And the new Tetras
Picture 1
Picture 2

Rick
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 04:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yes Rick,

That is a much better full tank shot

About Nana Petite in the substrate: It can be done, I have it in my 125G (look at the small plants (5 of them) in front of the big driftwood trunk), but it is a pain in the neck. The plant would need to have a significant root lenght (not rhizome) so you can bury the roots and hold it down with that. I think it would be easier to tie it to a small rock and then bury the rock in the substrate so that only the top part is exposed. I know you would not notice it, but the leftmost of my 5 Petites is actually on a rock as the plant came lose when I vacuumed and I couldn't get it.

Interesting: the new tetras look just like Black Neon Tetras, but without the black. Do you have any info on them being the same fish but a special breed? ( And didn't tetratech have them? )

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 10:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Found this profile here http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/431.htm on the golden tetras. They are very pretty. Wish I had room for some of those too. Ahhh, maybe some day, when I can afford to set up my 4ft.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jun-2006 01:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Week 7 Update

Not much to update this week. Everything is still pretty stable and growing good. All the fish are doing fine.

Week 7 Picture

I am still looking for some foreground plants and getting the hang of trimming the wisteria. I want to start thinking about how to make it look a little nicer. Suggestions are welcome.

Also I had a question about lighting on an Eclipse hood here. I'd apreciate any thoughts.

Eclipse Thread

Rick
Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 03:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Everything is still pretty stable and growing good. All the fish are doing fine.
... and your picture taking qualities are improving as well .

About the scape: I am not too thrilled about the yellow plants in the front, towards the left. Colorwise they look like they are dying, even if this should be their natural color.

Foreground plants are a constant struggle between light requirements and the willingness to put in some major extra work. Having a rather small tank, your foreground plant has to be small too, I even would assume that a carpet of Pearl Grass, neatly trimmed, could be too high. Glosso is very invasive once it takes off and needs lots of pruning and cutting off side branches that otherwise would go on to smother surrounding plants. Bensaf, and I agree with him, think that HC (don't ask for the real name, I think it is Himantheum micranthemoides or something) may be a good candidate, but it is hard to come by and grows rather slow, so you would require quite a bit of it if you don't want to wait forever until a carpet is formed.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2006 14:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Week 8 Update

This week the plant growth stalled a bit. I did a water change Saturday and already the tank is looking better. I think the tannins leaching into the water are shading the plants some.

Here are this weeks pictures.

Full Tank Shot
Wisteria Jungle Shot

Work has been really busy so I have not had a chance to look at any new plants for this tank. Hopefully things will settle down these next few weeks and I can find a nice foreground plant that will complement the tank.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 04:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Hey Rick, for some reason I can't get your picture links to work.

EDIT - Refer to Frank's post below. That's the same error message I get too.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Rick,
When I click on your links this is what I get:

Google
Error

Forbidden
Your client does not have permission to get URL /?imgmax=576 from this server.

Dunno what the problem might be...
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
OK Try again. I'm beta testing the new Google Web Albums so I am still getting used to it. IE doesn't seem to like me linking directly to the picture. It works OK if I link to the album.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 11:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I did a water change Saturday

Rick,

Does that mean your water got so yellowish that the plants suffered? Wow, it must have been quite tea like then.

Of course you broke the rules of Non-CO2 EI, and I really would like to have seen how this works when performed "by the books". It will be interesting to see if there is any consequence, like algae, from changing the water.

But besides all of that, the tank looks very well. All is green and shiny

Keep us posted on the tannins, and maybe even capture a picture of it before the next water change (if you should do another one).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 13:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
The links worked this morning.

If you are having problems with the tannins leaching
into the water and you are bothered by the "tea" color,
add carbon to your filtration system. The carbon will
remove the tannic acid. If you already have carbon in
the system, you might want to do one of two things.
Change it for a fresh batch and/or increase the amount
of carbon.

Usually the tannins will not affect the plants and the drop
in pH is not generally enough to affect the fish. Many
like the "look", while others opt for the crystal clear
"look." If the tannins are discoloring the water so much
that the plants are being "shaded" by the tint of the
water then you are borderline with the watts/gallon rating
of your lights. You would need to do regular water changes
to dilute the "soup."

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 15:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Frank,

I'm not so worried about the way the tannins look or their acidic properties. I think your last point is right on. I am running 2WPG on a 10G tank. The wisteria is listed as a medium light plant and I think I am right on the border. When the water darkens growth slows to a crawl. This leaves the door open for algae to start growing. When I keep the water clear the wisteria shows pretty good growth.

Unfortunately Ingo until the tannins have finished leaching out of the Driftwood or I upgrade my lights (My LFS sells 20W CF bulbs which would give 4WPG) I'll have to do at least some water changes.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 19:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Hm,

So I am wondering:

If you have to do some water changes until the tannins stop leaching, wouldn't it be better to do them on a schedule that is consistent, like weekly? I would assume that changes on a "once in a while" basis could be potentially more harmful as they solemnly depend on the tannis and not on any other water parameter, and when looking at these it would appear to be random with regards to ferts concentrations etc.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 20:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Good point Ingo. Back to weekly to water changes for now.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 22:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
SchanTheMan
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 1
male usa
I bought some DW for my 46Gallon about 2-3 months ago and I still have tannins leaching out the wood. Weekly water changes keeps my water from getting too dark.

Tank looks great, Rick.

-chris
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2006 17:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the compliment. When are we going to see thread for your 46?

Rick
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2006 18:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Tank Update Week 9

Well this week was kind a turning point in my tank keeping hobby.

First here is the picture...

Tank Picture Week 9.

If you noticed some missing plants you are right. These were taken out.

Here is the background. The tank was looking good and the plants were starting to get overgrown. When I was trimming my wife (being that this is in the kitchen) had some comments on the plants. She didn't like the Crypts or the tall plants (Balanase or Hygro). So out they came.

And where did they go? They went into my 25 Gallon. This makes it official that I no longer have any tanks with fake plants!!

Granted the 25 Gallon is very sparse right now, I am going to the LFS to get some more plants to start filling it in this week. I'll post picture of the 25 later.

Right now that leaves the Wisteria, Java Fern Wendlov, and the Anubias as the only plants in the tank. I'll probably add something else to this tank to fill in the front now that it looks really bare.

The 8 Golden Tetras, 2 Shrimp, and the Betta are all doing fine after I rearranged their world.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 14:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

I can't wait to see the pictures of the 25G then . One more tank we can use to mess with your mind .

This tank is doing just fine and I am not too concerened about your current plants as I am most certain that they will change a few times before you found the ones you want to keep.

I assume you made at least one large water change during this replanting, right?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 15:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Rick

I think once you have real plants in one tank, it would be hard to be happy with plastic plants in another.

So it appears you are now hooked on planted tanks.

Your tank is looking nice.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 16:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SchanTheMan
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Rick,

Tank looks great - I have to say your wife may have been right on - the tank looks more balanced w/ the wisteria on both sides and the tall plants taken out.

Gonna buy new substrate for your 25 now too?

-Chris
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2006 18:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Week 10 Update,

Hello everyone. How's it going? I've kind of fallen out of the board for a couple days but I am getting caught back up on what's going on.

Anyway the tank is doing good. The weekly water changes have lightened the water up and I am getting good growth from the wisteria.

I am getting some brown algae film on the glass. It comes off easily with a scrubbing pad, but I am not sure how to get it to stop.

Anyway here are the pictures.

Full Tank Shot

Also it looks like my Anubias may be getting its first flower.

Flower Forming

Anyway that's all for now on this tank.

I am defiantly hooked on planted tanks. Check out my 25 Log I am starting.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 04:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I am defiantly hooked on planted tanks.
Glad to hear that, Rick

Also, seems like your tank is doing well, although I don't see too many changes from last week. Any vision on more/other plants?

The brown algae are diatoms and will go away by themselves when they run out of food (silica from glas, substrate, etc). By suggestion I added Otos to my new 40G and they ate it right up.

And yes, this is an Anubias flower. Others will be rather jealous as they seem to have problems getting any flowers a all. But that wouldn't be me, as I always have them

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 11:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SchanTheMan
-----
Small Fry
male usa
Very nice - getting flowers.

Rick, what macros/micros did you decide to use on this tank? and in what concentration? I think you must have hit the nail on the head.

-Chris
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 16:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SchanTheMan
-----
Small Fry
male usa
I'm using the same fertilizers I use in the ten, Dry KNO3, KH2PO4, and Seachem Micros.

I saw this in your other log - what type of Seachem Micros are you using ?

-chris.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 16:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 11 Update
Here is this week's picture. I am quite happy with this tank it seems so easy. Growth is slow an steady and I am more happy with the overall look than I have ever bin. The only downside is it is pretty much done. I'll have to focus my attention on the 25 for a while.

Here are the pictures.

Full Tank Shot
Anubias Flower Still Growing
Betta Flaring

As always your comments and advise are welcome. Thanks

Rick
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 03:20Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Good job Rick, especially on the flower.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The only downside is it is pretty much done. I'll have to focus my attention on the 25 for a while.
Yeah, I know how that feels, its like "what am I gonna do with all the time that I have now, maybe I should get another tank".

Looking nice Rick, but I think you are not done yet. One thing that you can think about is plants, meaning replacing some of the existing Wisteria with other plants that create a pinch more variety in the layout. Also, maybe a second Anubias would look nice, grouped with the first one. Right now, your Wisteria is in "visual" control of your tank.

Otherwise, if all is good, is it time to stop the water changes then?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 10:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hb3133
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
Slickrb..... I have truly enjoyed your planted tank log. I too have started a 10 gallon planted tank Here are the specs:

I recently started a 10 gallon planted tank (6/23) and I am having a blast. My plants are growing and seem to be thriving very well. The fish are wonderful and very active. The red cherry shrimp are amazing and funny to watch. I was hesitant when added them to the tank but no problems with compatibility. Here are some specs:

10 gallon tank
2x15 watt compact flourescent bulbs
Eco-complete with thin layer of natural gravel
2 pieces of bogwood
Aquaclear mini fro 5-20 gallons with added sponge pre-filter
50 watt Marianeland Neptune heater

6 gold tetras
12 red cherry shrimp
??? pond snails

1 Anubias petite
1 Anubias coffeefolia
1 red Wendtii
8 dwarf sags
4 Anachris
6 java ferns and new additions of java moss and Christmas moss.

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: less than 5ppm
ph: 7.4
cycled with Bio-spira
Currently using flourish( 1x per week), flourish excel( 2x per week). I ordered some Flourish nitrogen and potassium. (will have it this week).

I will post some pictures on July 12th because my 3 year old broke my digital camera. I need to purchase a new one!
Anyways, I am glad to hear the tank is going well.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
hb3133,

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm always glad to know that someone is ready the log and enjoying it.

Ingo,

Water changes will probably stay for a while. The tank seems to like them plus I don't want to be on again off again. I'll probably stick to this routine until I can get the 25 to stabilize and then I'll think about it again.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 02:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

You know that I am not opposed to water changes anyway, you may remember that I rather questioned the non-water cange method. I would have liked to see you trying it out just to show me that my concerns are not applicable, but I guess I will have to wait for that.

In the meantime: Isn't the point of no water change to greatly reduce the CO2 in the water so that plants don't depend on it for growth? If so, and if you do water changes now anyway (I would suggest weekly 50%), have you thought about the addition of Flourish Excel during the week?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 10:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 12 Update

No full tank shot this week. But I do have a shot of the flower. Unfortunately my camera over exposes the flower no matter what I do. It looks like some divine glowing flower. What is even funnier to me is the tetra to the right sitting their worshiping it.

Flower Shot

I don't want to start using Excel on this tank. I'd just get hooked. I want to keep it simple and keep my attention on getting the 25 running smoothly. Although Excel on the 25 might help me increase my plant mass faster? Hmmm...

Rick
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 19:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 13 Update

Here is this weeks tank shot.
Full Tank

Pretty much the same. I've been using this tank as a grow out to fill the 25 Gallon. I pretty much just thinned out the wisteria.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 04:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 25-Jul-2006 04:44
This post has been deleted
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Rick

Your tank is looking good. I like how you have the wisteria sloping up to either side of the wood & then how it copies & emphasises the curved shape of the wood. Nice looking flow.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yup Rick,

Pretty nice, but I wonder how much longer you can go without getting bored of the "almost-exclusive" Wisteria setup. You got all this fancy soil in there for an Anubias and Wisteria, come on!

And - what's wrong with adding Excel once or twice a week if you should stick with doing water changes?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 00:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
I'm defiantly not against putting any new plants in this tank, but it seems like my options are limited. With only 2 WPG I haven't found many interesting choices for plants.

I would like something low and small that would fill up the foreground, but am unaware of anything that will live in my light.

I also see that the Anubias, Wisteria, and Wendlov all have about the same color and blend together. But don't most plants with more color also require more light or high CO2 levels?

As far as Excel, I just haven't really felt like it. I like the growth rate I have, and Excel can get expensive.

Overall I am really happy with the tank. There are some things I would like to improve upon but I think these low tech tanks suit me.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 19:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Rick,
Sorry for some reason I've been missing this thread. I like the overall layout of the tank and the placement of the DW, but I agree with LF that it's too much wisteria. If your interested in giving the tank better depth and contrast I would get rid of the wisteria about 2" or so past the DW going front to back and cover some stones with java moss. Once they are covered scatter them around the DW and work your way to the sides. You'll have an easy low-light foreground that will constrast nicely with the Wisteria. Just my 2 cents.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 21:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Tetratech,

Don't worry, we took good care of him

Rick,

Have you thought about Crypts? Most kinds don't need that much light and they come in various colors from green to brownish red. Although I know that a Crypt Wendtii may grow a little too tall for the foreground, it could spice up the mid to background a little.

And there are other kinds as well that are nice, like Lutea and Lucens (and many others). Go check them out.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 01:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Week 14 Update.

Welcome Tetra. Ingo and company have taken good care of me and all my questions , but I am always glad to have new eyes on my thread. I've still got a lot to learn.

I am having a hard time picturing what you are saying. If you look at the top of the tank (I'll try to get a top down pic) the wisteria forms a kind of U. The narrowest part is behind the DW as it holds the wisteria back, but the corner the wisteria grows closer to and sometime touching the front of the tank.

Are you suggesting that I strip the wisteria back so it more or less forms a straight line even with the narrowest part behind the driftwood and fill in that area with the moss rocks?

Am I over thinking this?

BTW
Full Tank Shot

Rick
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 04:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
EditedEdited by tetratech
Are you suggesting that I strip the wisteria back so it more or less forms a straight line even with the narrowest part behind the driftwood and fill in that area with the moss rocks?
Sorry I know it was hard to follow what I was saying, but I think you got it.

Cut the wisteria about 2 inches from the edge of the DW that is toward the front of the tank and plant moss covered rocks in basically a line across the remaining wisteria and wrap it around the edge of the DW. It will give it some good constrast and develop a low-light foreground.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 04:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Or:

Add some different plants to create variety in color and shapes, like crypts. I would think that they should take off after a while in your tank. How about at the right side, middle to back?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 10:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
If you went with Excel I think you could make e tenellus work for you. As it is you can definetley get away with dwarf sagm though it may grow a little tall for a foreground plant. You could make it work though.

Crypts will like the shade, but they may grow taller in less light.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2006 13:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 15 and 16.

Another double picture post. I gave the wisteria a hair cut. It was doing all right, but I noticed that the bottoms had a lot of dead looking leaves so I topped everything pretty good. I'm thinking this tank could use a regular dose of micros to.

This does however leave me more room to plant. I may try the moss rocks. If anyone has any pictures showing how they prepare moss covered rocks that would be helpful.

If not I'll just give it a try.

Anyway here are the pictures.
Week 15
Week 16

Rick
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2006 03:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Rick

Your tank is looking good.

Re: the moss rocks. In the past I have secured it with fishing line, but I am going to try tetratech's method of using a lady's hair net. I'm trying to get hold of some riccia, but that's not easy over here. When I find some, that's when I'll be trying the hair nets.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2006 04:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Robyn,

Thanks for the input. Take pictures of you netting the ricca. I'd love to see how it goes.

Well luck would have that one of my co-workers trimmed his Java moss and dropped a nice full bag of Java Moss off in my office. Thanks Chris!

So now I just need to find some rock. Will regular smooth river rocks be OK or should I get a certain type of rock that will allow better adhesion.

Also In the mean time will the Java Moss be OK floating in a bag in one of my tanks? If so for how long. I did fill the bag with tank water.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2006 04:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I will if I can actually find riccia. So far, only found it a couple of times on ebay & I've always missed out on winning the bid. Negotiating now for a BIN price with the seller, so I hope to get some soon.

Don't know if it matters what type of rock - just aim for one that is inert & doesn't effect your pH.

Java moss pretty much grows either attached or just floating. I have some free floating in my fry nets since April & it's doing just fine. Therefore, I'd say it would do fine in a plastic bag. I've even kept it for weeks at a time in a cup of water in a darkened garage, when I had too much of it. Never seems to die off, that stuff. However, you might be right about the smooth rocks being harder to adhere to

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2006 06:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 17,

Here is a quick update on the tank.

Full Tank Shot

Not much new. The java moss is still floating in the QTank while I hunt out rocks I like to cover. You'd think that would be easy but I haven't found any I like.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2006 04:03Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

Tank is growing nicely, I see the difference from last weeks shot to this week.

About the rock: It doesn't really matter what you get (as Robyn said), as long as it is inert and has a good overall shape. Your moss will cover it eventually and then there will be no details visible anymore, not even its original shape.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2006 10:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 18 Update,

Just a quick pic today.

Full Tank Shot

Not much new here.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 04:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yup,

You are right Rick, there is not much difference between the last two shots. How come? To me, there is quite a difference between week 16 and 17. Does that mean that the growth is slowing down? I assume that would not be a good sign. Did you do anything special during this week?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Aug-2006 10:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 19/20 Update

I have some pictures of this tank to. Just some new rocks with the Java moss added in.

Attached Image:

Hairy Rocks

Rick
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 04:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
And the Full tank shot

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 04:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Looking nice Rick,

Once the rocks are covered with the moss they will look pretty good in the tank. Be carful though to make sure that the moss will not spread from the rocks onto the substrate and beyond as you will find moss in your tank even after you removed the rocks for months and months.

Is that some algae that I see there on top of the wood?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 13:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
No not at all. (I'm still hopeing that if I deny its exisitence it will just go away!)

Rick
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 04:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 20 Update

Here is the full shot of the 10 gallon. It is humming right along. I didn't realize when I trimmed it last how flat I made it look.

The java moss is setting right in and starting to cover the rocks. I think its a nice addition.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 04:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I didn't realize when I trimmed it last how flat I made it look.
When Amano trims his stems it looks the same way, all even . Don't worry, it will start looking more diverse again by itself as the stems will grow in different directions.

Now that the moss is covering the rocks, try to watch out for strands creeping along the substrate. Remove them as soon as you can.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 16:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Well it has been almost a month since my last update so here are a few pictures. I did some minor reorganizing of the tank. The java fern was growing nicely and pressing up against the glass. Now it spreads out nicely and provides some interest above the wisteria.

Also if I add Excel to this tank to combat the BBA on the Anubias and the driftwood (now hidden by the fern) would I need to keep treating it indefinatly or once the BBA is gone can I stop?

Attached Image:

Front Shot

Rick
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 19:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Here is a shot from the side.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 19:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
And lastly from a top angle.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 19:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
You've done a great job with this small tank. The plants look very healthy, I'm especially impressed with the fern on the wood, very nice!
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Wow Thanks Dr. B. I appreciate the nice comments.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 05:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

Looking nice, here are a few comments:

- Albeit all plants seem fine, it is a little too green for me. The plants blend too much into each other and I would like to see a different highlight plant in there, maybe a red wendtii or, if you dare, some red stem plant in a small group.
- The Excel: you can stop with it once the BBA is gone, but there is a chance it will come back if the causing components have not changed. In my big tank, I ended up with a bi-monthly 2 weeks excel treatment routine as I could not eliminate the issue, whatever it is.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 14:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Well the Fish Store was out of Excel. So I will have to stop by again on Wed when they get their shipment.

Will applying the Excel near the Java fern do it any damage?

How about the Java Moss?

Rick
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 15:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

About 2 to 3 months ago I released a concentrated stream of Excel into my Xmas Moss in my 29G as I had an outbreak of Staghorn on it. I did not use more than I would have anyway, except that I focussed it onto the moss.

Result: really bad . The Moss disintegrated in the areas where I injected the Excel (go check my 29G log a few pages before the current end). I ended up having to remove the whole moss and to add the best pieces back onto the wood.

And I still have the Staghorn

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 15:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Rick,

Looks very nice. I would add another windelov fern to the left of the main one already there, place it so that it fills that void but keeps the overall shape.

Since your tank is a few months old, have you considered gradually replacing the wisteria with some other ground plants perhaps? The only problem I see now is that the windelov fern and the wisteria have very similar leaf shapes, keeps everything a bit uniform looking.

Also, you've been using AS for a few months now, I'm curious if you've noted any observations on how it's changed over the past few months. In my small tank I've noticed that I have to dose ferts a bit mro efrequently now to keep growth good and thick - I attribute that to the AS losing juts a little bit of steam. Overall though I love it, combined with the powersand special it helped the tank settle in nicely from the get-go.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 16:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Ingo,

Thanks for the excel input. I do remember that from your log a while back. I hope that it doesn't do the same to the fern. If it kills my moss I'll live as I can get more from my buddy next time he trims.

I'd just like to get read of that BBA. It isn't taking over but over the weeks it is ever so slowly getting bigger. Hopefully the excel will kill it and then I can stay on top of it and prevent it from coming back.

Nowherman

Thanks for the comments. Ingo has mentioned adding some plants as well to replace some of the wisteria. Its been on the back of my mind when I'm at the LFS. Nothing has jumped out at me yet.

The AS is great stuff. I haven't had to change my dosing (even missed a few here and there) and I haven't noticed any slowdown or change in growth. This tank always amazes me how healthy the plants look. If it weren't such a PITA to switch substrates, I would replace the gravel in the 25 with the AS in a heart beat.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 12:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
even missed a few here and there
Which just may be the reason for your BBA to take hold

About the 25 and switching to AS: hey, nothing is easier then to do a 25G makeover Ingo Style . I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 14:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hey Rick

Sorry, I lost track of this thread, so I am late with all my comments. What the heck - better late than never.
little too green for me. The plants blend too much .....like to see a different highlight plant....maybe a red wendtii or....red stem plant in a small group
I sympathise with you. Same in my tank. Low light = limited choice of colour. Like NowherMan6 says, maybe another windelov fern will help. My windelov is darker than my wisteria, so that's a contrasting shade of green. I also try to use red rocks for my mosses & have the wood showing here & there. It's about the only way I can add colour. Nevertheless, I agree with the others - all is looking very nice & healthy.

I agree with you about ADA. It's great stuff. I might give eco complete a try next time (just to try something different) but you really have to go a long way to beat ADA - especially if you're looking for way to keep your pH low in a non C02 tank.

Be careful of spot treating with excel. I had a really healthy anubia growing on a nice piece of wood. No algae issues on the anubia, but weekly I had cotton wool like algae on the wood. Easy to deal with, as the wood is small enough to take out each week & brush it off in old tank water. But I decided to try excel treatment. Thought I was very careful & painted the excel the wood & did not touch the plant at all. Disaster struck. Somehow, the excel must have dripped or run onto the leaves & this once beautiful plant never recovered. I still have it, but 1st problem was leaves lost their gloss, started going brown, developed holes etc. That seems to have stopped, but the general lack of health then allowed a black covering of algae to take hold on the leaves. The algae washes off but the leaves have never regained their former glossy beauty. Be careful if you decide to apply excel directly - rather than just to the water column. I will be very hesitant from now on.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 01:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa

Hello Everybody!

Its seems like forever since I posted. I have been killed at work and likely will be swamped until Dec 14 when I start my long vacation!!

Anyway the tank is doing great. My LFS finally got some Excel in stock and it worked miricales. The BBA died off in about two weeks and the plants took off. Right now everything looks a bit overgrown. I'll try to put up pictures soon

No major changes due to my lack of time. I did try to add three cherry shrimp. Unfortunately the betta didn't take to kindly to that and taught me a very important lesson on placing 3 dollar shrimp.

Anyway I'll try to check in and see how everyone else is doing.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2006 05:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

Glad to read that the BBA is gone. What are you currently doing with the Excel? Do you keep adding it to prevent a new outbreak, and if so, in what dosage?

I am swamped at work as well, why do they always need everything done at the end of a year?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2006 15:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Not much new with this tank in December since I was swamped at work then out of town.

I'll post a picture tonight.

I did notice that when we got back the Betta was sick. Not sure what is wrong. Check out this thread if you think you have any advise.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 16:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
OK Here is the promised picture of the tank.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 06:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
And when I was trying to get a close up of the betta for the other thread I have going in the Hospital I got this shot which I liked.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 06:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Rick,

Nice Anubias flowers. You and LF must be hanging out as you are the only two people on this fourm that seem to have them.

I have been so lucky to have one a while back but nothing since.

Every thing else in the tank looks quite nice too!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 15:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Thanks wings. Glad you like. It seems that the Excel really helped the Anubias flower. I had had only one flower on the plant since I set up the tank, but when I got the BBA and started dosing with the Excel, two popped up in close proximity.

I also noticed that not dosing excel for two weeks while I was gone has let a little algae back into the tank. There is a little bit of Staghorn and BBA coming back but it should die off again now that I am using Excel.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 15:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
You and LF must be hanging out as you are the only two people on this fourm that seem to have them
Not true,one of my nana's in the 43.G has them regularly too. They only last a couple of days & then they close up, which LF told me is normal.

Rick, is it the same with yours. I wondered if they last longer in a non C02 tank (on the assumption that C02 speeds growth - maybe it speeds the life cycle of the flower too). Just wondered.

Your tank is looking good. How is your betta doing?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I think that LF said that they last longer in his low tech tanks than his hi tech's.

The one that I had in my hi tech was quite quick.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 01:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
1.7.2007 Update.

Well here is this weeks update on the tank. Everything looks about the same. The betta still has that lump on its face so I started treating him with Maracyn 2 as recommend on the other thread. Hopefully that knocks it out.

My Anubias flowers seem to last forever but only look nice for a few days. The first shoot is a couple weeks old. The middle of the flower just kind of dwindles away. The stalk however hangs out for a long time. I was never sure if I should trim them or leave them so I left them.

Here is this week's tank shot.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 05:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
I also have a technique questions regarding the Anubias.

Here are two pictures of the Anubias close up. The first one is lightened to show the end of the wood and the end of the rhizome. When I planted them the end of the rhizome was even with the wood.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 05:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Here is the top down view. You can see how big it has gotten.

I want to trim it but I have a couple questions.

If I cut the rhizome at the end of the driftwood will it continue to grow from the cut?

Should I pull the whole anubias off the wood and then cut or can I leave it rooted and cut off the excess?

Can I use regular scissors to cut or should I use something sharper like a razor blade?

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 05:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
You can use scissors, as long as they aren't those dinky child proof ones and have a good edge on them. When you make a cut on the rhizome, it should have at least 3-4 leaves with it. The anubias should grow a branch on the rhizome somewhere to continue growing, usually it's very near the end you cut. Oh, I'd leave the anubias attached to the driftwood, tearing it off would cause a lot of damage to the plant I'm sure. Make your cut in the tank, and only pull out the section you want to move, leave the rest attached.

Good luck.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 22:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Matty,

Thanks for the tip. I just wanted to make sure before I did anything. I haven't cut it yet as I am thinking of where I want to put the cutting. I certainly have room in the 25 Gallon for new plants but not sure where I would place another anubias.

I'm still a newb enough were I can't stand throwing away plants.

No major changes to the tank this week. I did do any trimming after the water change. This is one of the nice benefits on Non-CO2 tanks.

I am having more algae issues though. First it was the BBA and now some string algae. Yesterday I think I found the cause. The flow on the HOB filter is way down. I think this is leading to stagnant areas in the tank.

Next week I am going to take the whole thing apart and make sure everything is in good working order. I would have done it this week but I am medicating the betta and didn't want to disrupt things.

Also the Betta is doing better (see the Sick Betta thread in the hospital).

Rick
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 16:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Well, When I went to give the betta his medicine tonight I noticed that the flow was almost still. I took the filter and cleaned it. At first I thought it was still broken but I found a clump of gunk messing up the intake. Its now clean and you can visible see water movement again. Hopefully this will help the betta's health and cut down on the BBA.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 03:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Update 1.23.2007

Here is a small tank update. Things are getting much better now that the filter is working full force again. The algae is receding and fish are all healthy again.

Here is the shot of the tank tonight. I did a little remodeling and will be filling that open foreground with something here soon. It will most likely by HM but it depends on what is available.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 05:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
aquapickle27
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 98
Votes: 55
male usa
The tank is looking really good. The anubias flowers are still hanging in there.

†Aquapickle†
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Thanks aquapickle27,

They seem like the will last as long as I let them. The last time I had a flower I cut it off. Not sure if this is normal for Anubias or not.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 14:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Great pics and great looking tank
I really like that anubius. I've got mine to flower a couple of times. The first one appeared like 4 months ago and is still there.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 16:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Great pics and great looking tank
I really like that anubius. I've got mine to flower a couple of times. The first one appeared like 4 months ago and is still there.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 16:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Well I am redoing this tank. I tore it down today and drained it. My wife and I played around with some new hardscape ideas and this is what we came up with. I'm gonna sleep on it and see if I like it again in the morning. Anyway let me know what you think.

-Rick

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 06:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies