slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Week 19/20 Update

I have some pictures of this tank to. Just some new rocks with the Java moss added in.

Attached Image:

Hairy Rocks

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 04:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
And the Full tank shot

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 04:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Looking nice Rick,

Once the rocks are covered with the moss they will look pretty good in the tank. Be carful though to make sure that the moss will not spread from the rocks onto the substrate and beyond as you will find moss in your tank even after you removed the rocks for months and months.

Is that some algae that I see there on top of the wood?

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 13:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
No not at all. (I'm still hopeing that if I deny its exisitence it will just go away!)

Rick
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 04:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Week 20 Update

Here is the full shot of the 10 gallon. It is humming right along. I didn't realize when I trimmed it last how flat I made it look.

The java moss is setting right in and starting to cover the rocks. I think its a nice addition.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 04:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I didn't realize when I trimmed it last how flat I made it look.
When Amano trims his stems it looks the same way, all even . Don't worry, it will start looking more diverse again by itself as the stems will grow in different directions.

Now that the moss is covering the rocks, try to watch out for strands creeping along the substrate. Remove them as soon as you can.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2006 16:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Well it has been almost a month since my last update so here are a few pictures. I did some minor reorganizing of the tank. The java fern was growing nicely and pressing up against the glass. Now it spreads out nicely and provides some interest above the wisteria.

Also if I add Excel to this tank to combat the BBA on the Anubias and the driftwood (now hidden by the fern) would I need to keep treating it indefinatly or once the BBA is gone can I stop?

Attached Image:

Front Shot

Rick
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 19:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Here is a shot from the side.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 19:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
And lastly from a top angle.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 19:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
You've done a great job with this small tank. The plants look very healthy, I'm especially impressed with the fern on the wood, very nice!
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2006 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Wow Thanks Dr. B. I appreciate the nice comments.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 05:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

Looking nice, here are a few comments:

- Albeit all plants seem fine, it is a little too green for me. The plants blend too much into each other and I would like to see a different highlight plant in there, maybe a red wendtii or, if you dare, some red stem plant in a small group.
- The Excel: you can stop with it once the BBA is gone, but there is a chance it will come back if the causing components have not changed. In my big tank, I ended up with a bi-monthly 2 weeks excel treatment routine as I could not eliminate the issue, whatever it is.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2006 14:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Well the Fish Store was out of Excel. So I will have to stop by again on Wed when they get their shipment.

Will applying the Excel near the Java fern do it any damage?

How about the Java Moss?

Rick
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 15:52Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

About 2 to 3 months ago I released a concentrated stream of Excel into my Xmas Moss in my 29G as I had an outbreak of Staghorn on it. I did not use more than I would have anyway, except that I focussed it onto the moss.

Result: really bad . The Moss disintegrated in the areas where I injected the Excel (go check my 29G log a few pages before the current end). I ended up having to remove the whole moss and to add the best pieces back onto the wood.

And I still have the Staghorn

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 15:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Rick,

Looks very nice. I would add another windelov fern to the left of the main one already there, place it so that it fills that void but keeps the overall shape.

Since your tank is a few months old, have you considered gradually replacing the wisteria with some other ground plants perhaps? The only problem I see now is that the windelov fern and the wisteria have very similar leaf shapes, keeps everything a bit uniform looking.

Also, you've been using AS for a few months now, I'm curious if you've noted any observations on how it's changed over the past few months. In my small tank I've noticed that I have to dose ferts a bit mro efrequently now to keep growth good and thick - I attribute that to the AS losing juts a little bit of steam. Overall though I love it, combined with the powersand special it helped the tank settle in nicely from the get-go.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2006 16:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Ingo,

Thanks for the excel input. I do remember that from your log a while back. I hope that it doesn't do the same to the fern. If it kills my moss I'll live as I can get more from my buddy next time he trims.

I'd just like to get read of that BBA. It isn't taking over but over the weeks it is ever so slowly getting bigger. Hopefully the excel will kill it and then I can stay on top of it and prevent it from coming back.

Nowherman

Thanks for the comments. Ingo has mentioned adding some plants as well to replace some of the wisteria. Its been on the back of my mind when I'm at the LFS. Nothing has jumped out at me yet.

The AS is great stuff. I haven't had to change my dosing (even missed a few here and there) and I haven't noticed any slowdown or change in growth. This tank always amazes me how healthy the plants look. If it weren't such a PITA to switch substrates, I would replace the gravel in the 25 with the AS in a heart beat.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 12:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
even missed a few here and there
Which just may be the reason for your BBA to take hold

About the 25 and switching to AS: hey, nothing is easier then to do a 25G makeover Ingo Style . I would do it in a heartbeat.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 14:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hey Rick

Sorry, I lost track of this thread, so I am late with all my comments. What the heck - better late than never.
little too green for me. The plants blend too much .....like to see a different highlight plant....maybe a red wendtii or....red stem plant in a small group
I sympathise with you. Same in my tank. Low light = limited choice of colour. Like NowherMan6 says, maybe another windelov fern will help. My windelov is darker than my wisteria, so that's a contrasting shade of green. I also try to use red rocks for my mosses & have the wood showing here & there. It's about the only way I can add colour. Nevertheless, I agree with the others - all is looking very nice & healthy.

I agree with you about ADA. It's great stuff. I might give eco complete a try next time (just to try something different) but you really have to go a long way to beat ADA - especially if you're looking for way to keep your pH low in a non C02 tank.

Be careful of spot treating with excel. I had a really healthy anubia growing on a nice piece of wood. No algae issues on the anubia, but weekly I had cotton wool like algae on the wood. Easy to deal with, as the wood is small enough to take out each week & brush it off in old tank water. But I decided to try excel treatment. Thought I was very careful & painted the excel the wood & did not touch the plant at all. Disaster struck. Somehow, the excel must have dripped or run onto the leaves & this once beautiful plant never recovered. I still have it, but 1st problem was leaves lost their gloss, started going brown, developed holes etc. That seems to have stopped, but the general lack of health then allowed a black covering of algae to take hold on the leaves. The algae washes off but the leaves have never regained their former glossy beauty. Be careful if you decide to apply excel directly - rather than just to the water column. I will be very hesitant from now on.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 01:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa

Hello Everybody!

Its seems like forever since I posted. I have been killed at work and likely will be swamped until Dec 14 when I start my long vacation!!

Anyway the tank is doing great. My LFS finally got some Excel in stock and it worked miricales. The BBA died off in about two weeks and the plants took off. Right now everything looks a bit overgrown. I'll try to put up pictures soon

No major changes due to my lack of time. I did try to add three cherry shrimp. Unfortunately the betta didn't take to kindly to that and taught me a very important lesson on placing 3 dollar shrimp.

Anyway I'll try to check in and see how everyone else is doing.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2006 05:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Rick,

Glad to read that the BBA is gone. What are you currently doing with the Excel? Do you keep adding it to prevent a new outbreak, and if so, in what dosage?

I am swamped at work as well, why do they always need everything done at the end of a year?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Dec-2006 15:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Not much new with this tank in December since I was swamped at work then out of town.

I'll post a picture tonight.

I did notice that when we got back the Betta was sick. Not sure what is wrong. Check out this thread if you think you have any advise.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 16:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
OK Here is the promised picture of the tank.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 06:41Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
And when I was trying to get a close up of the betta for the other thread I have going in the Hospital I got this shot which I liked.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 06:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Rick,

Nice Anubias flowers. You and LF must be hanging out as you are the only two people on this fourm that seem to have them.

I have been so lucky to have one a while back but nothing since.

Every thing else in the tank looks quite nice too!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 15:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Thanks wings. Glad you like. It seems that the Excel really helped the Anubias flower. I had had only one flower on the plant since I set up the tank, but when I got the BBA and started dosing with the Excel, two popped up in close proximity.

I also noticed that not dosing excel for two weeks while I was gone has let a little algae back into the tank. There is a little bit of Staghorn and BBA coming back but it should die off again now that I am using Excel.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 15:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
You and LF must be hanging out as you are the only two people on this fourm that seem to have them
Not true,one of my nana's in the 43.G has them regularly too. They only last a couple of days & then they close up, which LF told me is normal.

Rick, is it the same with yours. I wondered if they last longer in a non C02 tank (on the assumption that C02 speeds growth - maybe it speeds the life cycle of the flower too). Just wondered.

Your tank is looking good. How is your betta doing?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I think that LF said that they last longer in his low tech tanks than his hi tech's.

The one that I had in my hi tech was quite quick.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 01:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
1.7.2007 Update.

Well here is this weeks update on the tank. Everything looks about the same. The betta still has that lump on its face so I started treating him with Maracyn 2 as recommend on the other thread. Hopefully that knocks it out.

My Anubias flowers seem to last forever but only look nice for a few days. The first shoot is a couple weeks old. The middle of the flower just kind of dwindles away. The stalk however hangs out for a long time. I was never sure if I should trim them or leave them so I left them.

Here is this week's tank shot.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 05:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
I also have a technique questions regarding the Anubias.

Here are two pictures of the Anubias close up. The first one is lightened to show the end of the wood and the end of the rhizome. When I planted them the end of the rhizome was even with the wood.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 05:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Here is the top down view. You can see how big it has gotten.

I want to trim it but I have a couple questions.

If I cut the rhizome at the end of the driftwood will it continue to grow from the cut?

Should I pull the whole anubias off the wood and then cut or can I leave it rooted and cut off the excess?

Can I use regular scissors to cut or should I use something sharper like a razor blade?

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 05:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by mattyboombatty
You can use scissors, as long as they aren't those dinky child proof ones and have a good edge on them. When you make a cut on the rhizome, it should have at least 3-4 leaves with it. The anubias should grow a branch on the rhizome somewhere to continue growing, usually it's very near the end you cut. Oh, I'd leave the anubias attached to the driftwood, tearing it off would cause a lot of damage to the plant I'm sure. Make your cut in the tank, and only pull out the section you want to move, leave the rest attached.

Good luck.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2007 22:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Matty,

Thanks for the tip. I just wanted to make sure before I did anything. I haven't cut it yet as I am thinking of where I want to put the cutting. I certainly have room in the 25 Gallon for new plants but not sure where I would place another anubias.

I'm still a newb enough were I can't stand throwing away plants.

No major changes to the tank this week. I did do any trimming after the water change. This is one of the nice benefits on Non-CO2 tanks.

I am having more algae issues though. First it was the BBA and now some string algae. Yesterday I think I found the cause. The flow on the HOB filter is way down. I think this is leading to stagnant areas in the tank.

Next week I am going to take the whole thing apart and make sure everything is in good working order. I would have done it this week but I am medicating the betta and didn't want to disrupt things.

Also the Betta is doing better (see the Sick Betta thread in the hospital).

Rick
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 16:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
EditedEdited by slickrb
Well, When I went to give the betta his medicine tonight I noticed that the flow was almost still. I took the filter and cleaned it. At first I thought it was still broken but I found a clump of gunk messing up the intake. Its now clean and you can visible see water movement again. Hopefully this will help the betta's health and cut down on the BBA.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2007 03:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Update 1.23.2007

Here is a small tank update. Things are getting much better now that the filter is working full force again. The algae is receding and fish are all healthy again.

Here is the shot of the tank tonight. I did a little remodeling and will be filling that open foreground with something here soon. It will most likely by HM but it depends on what is available.

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 05:16Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
aquapickle27
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 98
Votes: 55
male usa
The tank is looking really good. The anubias flowers are still hanging in there.

†Aquapickle†
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Thanks aquapickle27,

They seem like the will last as long as I let them. The last time I had a flower I cut it off. Not sure if this is normal for Anubias or not.

Rick
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 14:38Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Great pics and great looking tank
I really like that anubius. I've got mine to flower a couple of times. The first one appeared like 4 months ago and is still there.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 16:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Great pics and great looking tank
I really like that anubius. I've got mine to flower a couple of times. The first one appeared like 4 months ago and is still there.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 16:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
male usa
Well I am redoing this tank. I tore it down today and drained it. My wife and I played around with some new hardscape ideas and this is what we came up with. I'm gonna sleep on it and see if I like it again in the morning. Anyway let me know what you think.

-Rick

Attached Image:

Rick
Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2007 06:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies