Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAlgea on Aquarium Plants?
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
I havesome algea on my Amazon Swords and i was wondering about how i may get rid of it b/c i dont want the algae absorbing my plants light and makin tgit die off.
Thanks
-Cichlid
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 04:39Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 15-Mar-2006 10:43
This post has been deleted
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
This is a reference often used Algae
Read this first it could help to find out what algae you have and the best way to treat it.

One thing which is a very big NONO is any chemicals that kill the algae as if the fish eat the algae it could also kill them, also many fish are not suitable for the chemicals used.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 10:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
EditedEdited by chelaine
i also have a similar problem with my swords http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/27362.1.htm?11#] there is the forum i posted, i hope this helps you.

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 13:25Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
r0b3y
---------------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 262
Votes: 41
male australia
yea id have to agree with keith.. the only way to get rid of the algae is to find out wat type of algae it is. there are many types of algae, a photo would help us give u assistance.
go though the link supplied above and see if any are alike urs..

Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 15:27Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
alright i read the link keith and i have spot algea.now how should i get rid of it?
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 22:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have just copied this directly from that link I gave you.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

Spot algae:
Grows in thin, hard, circular, bright green spots, usually on the aquarium glass but also on plants under high light conditions. Considered normal for planted tanks. Must be mechanically removed. On acrylic aquariums, use a cloth pad or a gentle scouring pad like a cosmetic "Buff-Puff" and a lot of elbow grease. On glass tanks, scraping with a razor blade is most effective

I have just looked up another referance and the answer is the same but it suggests adding algae eating fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 01:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
i also have green spot algae in my tank, its pretty much useless.. i cant get rid of it, and its killed a few of my plants.. i have a pleco and he doesnt touch the stuff... pretty much i just go through the tank and scrub it off with a scratchy pad. good luck!

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 16-Mar-2006 02:17Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies