---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
EditedEdited by Theresa_M
This kit was a gift for my husband to have at work but because he's changing jobs it's still sitting in the box So I decided to start making plans for it...

We went to a new lfs yesterday and they had gorgeous Aphyosemion australe ; I'm thinking of keeping a pair in this tank.

It will definitely be planted and have driftwood. I'm thinking of trying Aqua Soil for the first time....what is the difference between the normal and powder types? Should I purchase the 'Africana' for the killies, or is the difference in biotope choices just color?

That's about all I have planned now. I have a bunch of driftwood soaking; I think my next step will be to choose which piece I want in the tank.

He does like grass-type plants...any suggestions for types that would work in this setup?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2007 19:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Jubs

---------------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 131
male usa us-washington
Very nice setup!

As for the australes I wouldn't put then in an uncovered tank as they are very good jumpers and like to do so !

As for the Aqua soil to my knowledge it is just color. Powder and normal is just grain size.

As for plant choices you could try dwarf hairgrass aka Eleocharis acicularis or if you are looking for something a bit bigger maybe some dwarf sag Sagittaria subulata. Both will cover the tank with time with runners. The only thing I would be worried about is the amount of light you have over the tank I don't know if it would be enough or not.

I think that driftwood would look great in the tank especially if it was branching out from the water surface a bit. I personally would tie some java moss or weeping moss is even better to the driftwood.

Good luck with the tank!

Jubs
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 13:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Looks like we are going to see a nice planted nano in near future.
Hairgrass would be my choice as well.
9 watts of light is not going to be enough for this 3g if plants like hairgrass are to be put in. For small tanks, the watts/g rule fails badly.
I have a 5g cube with 24 watts of 6400K and the plants like glosso are doing OK, not exceptionally good.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 13:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Theresa,

The aquasoil is good stuff. What Jub's has said is right. The different types are just colors and grain size. However they all will lower the pH. In a small tank it may be a very sharp drop. I don't know anything about what the Killies like but you may want to watch the pH for a bit before adding the fish.

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 16:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Theresa,

Agree with mughal, 9W is nothing, especially for most grass plants. Things will grow very very slowly for you in that lighting. A perfect grass type plant for small tanks IMO and IME is Blyxa japonica. It's really a stem plant but it grows in grass-like tufts. It's great for small tanks because it doesn't spread by runners, so it doesn't push itself around too much. it stays where you plant it. It doesn't respond well to Excel IME.

E. tennellus is always an option, and since lighting is so low it won't spread very fast by runners, but you do need to watch out for runners none the less.

If you're going to stick with a type of rooted plant then by all means, go with AS! I've had a wonderful experience with it so far in growing Blyxa, anubias and HC.

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 16:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
If you use the Aquasoil, I suggest getting the normal size. The powder is just too light and it doesn't hold the plants down well enough for me. I'm thinking of eventually switching my 3g to Eco.

I have had alot of algae lately and I'm not sure exactly what its from. I was told by someone on another site that she had alot of algae initially in her tank with AS. So, gonna see if it goes away (with DIY CO2 and ferts).

Are you planning on using the light that came with it?

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2007 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Thanks for all the info, especially the plant suggestions.

A quick question regarding the Aqua Soil: does it have to be rinsed like other substrates?

I'm re-thinking the killies. After some research it seems they're notorious jumpers and I was hoping to leave this tank without a top.

If this tank ends up in my husband's office I'll just be using the light that came with it.

My 2.5g has been running for almost a year now and I still battle with algae on a regular basis

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2007 17:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Theresa,

No you don't want to rinse the Aqua Soil. It should go straight in. When you are filling up though pour the water on a plate or use a low flow as the Aqua Soil has some fine matter that can get stirred up. If it does don't worry as it will clear fast.

When I started my tank with Aqua Soil the water was hazy for a couple days but it cleared up on its own. Now, I stir up some stuff every time I plant plants but it always settles in an hour or so.

I really love the stuff. My plants grow great with it. I highly recommend it.

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2007 18:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies