SubscribeTW's 20G Planted Tank
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Here is a shot of the anubia, when out of the tank tonight. I tried the excel on the wood, so I hope the algae doesn't come back.

The anubia is actually two rhizome.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 16:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
New Update. I treated the wood with excel to combat the fluffy algae. I thought I was careful not to get any excel on the leaves of the anubia, but I must not have been as careful as I thought. Several leaves on this previously perfect plant have been damaged. Will they recover, or should I just remove them?

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 17:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is the full tank shot for this week. Nothing much changed. This is a very easy tank.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 17:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
And a shot of the residents, who will hopefully turn out to be a happy couple.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 17:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Grrrr,

I hope I didn't give you bad advice, Robyn. If the leaves are getting thin and loose matter between the veins then they probably will be done sooner or later (later, most likely). If the look is unpleasant to you then you can cut off the leave, plus stem as far down as possible, but don't hurt the rhizome. Anubias trimmed in that fashion usually are incouraged to grow new leaves faster.

In any case, did the fluff go away?

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 17:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I hope I didn't give you bad advice, Robyn
Not at all LF. I knew it was important not to get any on the leaves. As I say, I must not have been careful enough. I think some must have dripped there by accident. The fluffy stuff has greatly reduced - it was just one small spot tonight, instead of all over this piece of wood. However, I did not want to play around with the excel again for now. I will leave the leaf trimming for one more week, but will probably do it next week at water change. It does spoil the look, but there are several leaves that are damaged, so not yet sure I want to cut them all off. I will think about it during the week.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 17:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

You may not have dripped Excel on the leaves (except if you do know that you did so). Instead, the soaked wood with excel may have released it once the plant was placed back in the water and then the high concentration in that area could have damaged the leaves.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2006 17:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Ok, makes sense. Thanks LF

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2006 01:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is a shot of the tank showing a new cheap UV sterilizer I'm trialling. It's an internal unit on the back wall of the tank, near the heater.

I had to cut quite a few leaves off my nice anubia & it doesn't look as nice as it used to, but I hope it comes back.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Oct-2006 14:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I had to cut quite a few leaves off my nice anubia & it doesn't look as nice as it used to, but I hope it comes back.
Anubias is one of thoughs plants that some people (tetra) don't even think is real. I am sure it will come back for you. I have taken quite a few leaves off mine without out any problems.

Plants look pretty healthy in there!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 13-Oct-2006 20:59Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Wow Robyn,

Seems all is growing rather well. It may be reaching a stage soon where the tank may become to green of the same shade, maybe you can add some other color to it, like a brown Wendtii.

The UV is quite a chunker . Would it be possible to hide it behind the left Wisteria?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2006 13:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
That's the kind of unit I'd put in there only if things weren't going so well. It's definitely distracting from your nice layout. Hopefully it serves it's purpose though.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2006 17:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I know, it's unsightly. But if you have visited my 23.G log, you will see that I have found it impossible to install my other UV (the one I was going to set up with the pump). As if I didn't need another reason to be unhappy with these total package tanks. It did not allow me the openings I need to get the tubing to & from the UV. Also, when I encased the pump in a sponge, it was just as bulky & ugly anyway.

So, I am trying this crappy looking cheaper unit.
That's the kind of unit I'd put in there only if things weren't going so well
Well, this is the tank that previously housed the cac's that died (they died around the same time as bitaeniata). No trouble ever with any other fish that have lived in there.

Again, due to the limited places where I can pass leads in & out of this tank - it needs to be on left hand side of the tank. It can't go any further to the left though, as the power head & intake tube are in the way. So I seem to be stuck with it there, as unsightly as it is. Maybe I will have to plant some stems in front of it - but it needs easy access. It has a little slot where there is a sponge & you need to rinse this sponge out fairly regularly.
soon where the tank may become to green of the same shade
I know. I think I can help that a bit by trimming down the creeping wisteria, which will then show more of the dark wood behind with the annubia. There is a brown crypt of some sort behind the wisteria, but hidden at the moment. They never seem to do very well for me though. No pics tonight, but next water change when I trim down the wisteria, I'll try to get a shot & maybe you can ID them for me.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2006 12:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dr. Bonke

---------------
-----
Kudos: 215
Votes: 36
male finland
As if I didn't need another reason to be unhappy with these total package tanks

I know the problems with that, Robyn, I've run into issues with the hood of my own tank as well. Ever since I installled the new lights, the tank has been seriously over heating. I drilled some holes in the top and installed some fans, but that's just temporary. Right now I've just about had it with the thing and am designing a new hood for the tank, I should have the materials this week. Maybe that's something your should think about as well. A custom hood will allow you to put through as many hoses as you like.
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2006 13:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
Hello TankWatcher, I have been following this log recently and I had a quick question for you.
What is your precise wpg? I am doing wisteria in my 20g as well, and yours looks very nice and full; I just want to make sure I am giving them enough light . Thanks!
~Morgan

PS: I might be starting up a log here, soon!

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2006 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Dr Bonke, thanks for popping in . If ever I get some extra cash, I won't actually replace the hood - but ....I will replace the filter with a cannister (then I can set up the UV), I'll have a glass top made & get PC lights to sit on top. There will no longer be a hood at all. That is in the future though.

Hi MoFish, thanks for the response. This tank is a low tech, low light, no C02 (other than Excel). It has 2 x 11W, which works out at (1.1 wpg). This limits me in in what I can grow, but the wisteria does really well in there. Another thing that helps is to have a good & sufficiently thick substrate for the plants. I am using ADA, but there are lots of other goods planted tank substrates out there. Lot of people here use eco-complete & I've only ever heard good things. You don't have to rinse either the ADA or eco substrates, but some other like flourite you have to rinse before using them. ADA & eco are complete substrates, but others are a fertilizer base and you put a layer of regular gravel on top. If using the base plus gravel type setup,you will need 1-2cm layer of this base fertilizer, smooth it out, and then make sure to lay a good amount of gravel (at least 4-5cm) on top of it. This helps to give your plants a good anchor.

Here is a calculator to help you work out how much gravel you need, as it really helps to have deep bed.
http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Look forward to reading your log in the future.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2006 01:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I've trimmed back all the wisteria quite a bit, so that more of the red rock & driftwood show up. Like my other non C02 tank, I am having some algae issues. I'm sure it has more to do with me not getting the ferts right. I think some more trimming on the right side is need, to expose even more rock. I have some spare Java ferns harvested for the 43G, so I might plant some right at the back to hide the heater & UV a bit better.

LF, if you see this, think you suggested a brown Wendtii (spelling). I think I have one, or is it just a plain brown crypt. Look behind the anubia & just to the right. See the brown leaf. Is that likely to be Wendtii?

Here is a full tank shot.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here's a shot of my "other" nigerian male.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
and the best shot I could get of the female. She spends a lot of time hiding, as the male has decided he does not like her. They got on well, until she became sick. It's like he decided she is sickly & hasn't forgiven her for being less than perfect, even though she now seems perfectly well.

For more than 2 weeks, I thought she was going to die. Gasping, not feeding or moving. She was just laying on the gravel & panting. Each day, I expected to find her dead. As well as the gasping, which has always before = dead fish pretty quick, I spotted the dreaded thread of a worm hanging out of her anus. Definitely not poo. This is the first time medication has saved one of these fish. I used a different med this time. She is no longer gasping, no sign of worms, comes out to feed & although runs from the male, she does venture out. I am pleased with her, just because she is the miracle fish I was actually able to save. Sad though, that the male is rejecting her. She has a nice purple belly at the moment, so I think she would breed if he would co-operate. She is hard to photograph, as she doesn't tend to stay still & also spends time hiding in dark corners. Not shy of me at all though.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
A rare shot of them together. I think the only reason he wasn't chasing her is 'cause he was distracted by my presence & anticipated that I was about to feed him.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is a more typical shot. She was hanging out on one side of this rock. He knew she was there, and as is his habit, he was sneaking up on her. When she realised what he was doing, this is a shot of her streaking off to safety. Even though he chases her off, I don't fear for her safety. He never really tries to seriously attack - it is all about the chase. As long as she runs off, he is satisfied to take it no further.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Now here is my anubia that never has quite recovered from the excel treatment. Some leaves are still damaged & the damage seems to have let algae take hold. I was able to clean the algae off last night, but the leaves have lost their glossy glow of previous times. The algae is already returning. I wonder what would happen if I cut back ALL the leaves. Would the plant recover. They are slowing growing though, aren't they? So I would have a bare looking piece of wood for quite some time, wouldn't I?

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

First off, it seems like the plant you mentioned is indeed a Wendtii, or something really close to it. Wendtiis are pretty common and in our neck of the woods the most of all crypts that are sold in stores.

About the chasing: If they are anything like the common apisto species then the male needs a territory of about 3 square feet (at least). It may be that the footprint of your tank is too small and as such she is always intruding on him. Once the pair settled and he figured out the tank he started to become posessive. One test would be to re-arrange the tank quite a bit (I wouldn't do it though, all seems right currently so why mess with it). This, at least for a short time, should make him more friendly as he will have to start anew with his realm.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 17:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I have swapped the males between this tank & the 43.5G, to see if this guy can be tempted by the female. At the very least, her life seems to be happier, as this male is much less aggressive and does not chase her away (so far). I am always trying, without success to show how beautiful these nigerian red's are. The pictures can never capture how much prettier they are than their cousin, the krib.

Here are 2 feeble attempts to share their beauty.

Attached Image:

Together - well, kinda

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
This is very blurry, but I hope you see the flashes of pink, sky blue, and yellows. In real life, the iridescent sky blue (between her pink belly & yellow throat) is just such a vivid colour.

She is really a beautiful fish (by far the prettiest dwarf cichlid I have owned or seen in real life) & I hope she can tempt her new male. She tries very hard to do so.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
As a reminder, here is a previous full shot of the tank. It was wisteria dominated & my anubia is looking better than it does today.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
The wisteria has been removed from the right hand side of the tank (other than the creeping wisteria across the front). Java fern has been transferred across from the 43.5G. Doesn't show here so well, but my crypts are now more easily seen. They are to the left & right of the anubia.

The anubia just will not recover from the mishap with the excel, but I still can't bring myself to cut off all the leaves. Still, it may come to that eventually.

I think that eventually the wisteria in the left rear corner will go also. Probably replaced either by a taller growing anubia or maybe just more java fern, as they are so easy. Any suggestions? Remember this is a low light, low tech tank - so suggestions need to suit that criteria.

I really should wait till nightfall, as I can't stop glare from the opposite window interfering with the full shot, but here we go anyway.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Anyone who saw my previous pics, will tell at a glance this is not my work. I found it on Practical Fishkeeping magazine site, so I hope it is okay to show here. This is definitely the same fish type as my girl, that I have been trying unsuccessfully to picture. The colours in mine are more vibrant & my girl has more spotting on her tail & fins - but the actual placement of colour sequence (the yellow, sky blue & pink) - that colour placement on her body is identical. The stripe on mine is also darker (read brighter).

She is my prettiest female cichlid I have ever owned.

Still, she can't seem to attract her male. She is onto the 2nd male now & still no action.

If anyone's interested, here is a link to an article (& the original pic) http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=495

Attached Image:

Copyright © Practical Fishkeeping

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 06:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Another change to this plant. I have removed all stem plants and now only have the low, creeping wisteria, crypt, java ferns & anubias. See 2 posts back for the previous look. There is also several new caves (formed out of new driftwood).

Here is the tank today. Ignore the ugly UV filter pls. It is a little bit of a jungle, but it should be easier care. The main goal was to make lots of hiding places for the nigerian reds and more places for them to lay eggs (if only they'd oblige).

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 16:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
There are 2 new plants, one large anubia at the rear, but also this nana - pictured below.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 16:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is a shot of the other nana, the one I damaged with the excel incident. I cut off most of the damaged leaves (maybe one or 2 more still need to go). All in all, it looks better after the cut off.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 16:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
a couple of side views follow

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
another

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 13:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Robyn,

Looking good. The new layout make the tank look bigger. These are pretty much the plants that are in my 10 Gallon and they don't get to out of control.

-Rick

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 15:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for stopping in Rick and thanks for the comments. That's what I was looking for - plants that don't get out of control, but still provide cover & hiding places for the fish.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 22:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies