SubscribeTW's 20G Planted Tank
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Here is a more typical shot. She was hanging out on one side of this rock. He knew she was there, and as is his habit, he was sneaking up on her. When she realised what he was doing, this is a shot of her streaking off to safety. Even though he chases her off, I don't fear for her safety. He never really tries to seriously attack - it is all about the chase. As long as she runs off, he is satisfied to take it no further.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Now here is my anubia that never has quite recovered from the excel treatment. Some leaves are still damaged & the damage seems to have let algae take hold. I was able to clean the algae off last night, but the leaves have lost their glossy glow of previous times. The algae is already returning. I wonder what would happen if I cut back ALL the leaves. Would the plant recover. They are slowing growing though, aren't they? So I would have a bare looking piece of wood for quite some time, wouldn't I?

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 15:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Robyn,

First off, it seems like the plant you mentioned is indeed a Wendtii, or something really close to it. Wendtiis are pretty common and in our neck of the woods the most of all crypts that are sold in stores.

About the chasing: If they are anything like the common apisto species then the male needs a territory of about 3 square feet (at least). It may be that the footprint of your tank is too small and as such she is always intruding on him. Once the pair settled and he figured out the tank he started to become posessive. One test would be to re-arrange the tank quite a bit (I wouldn't do it though, all seems right currently so why mess with it). This, at least for a short time, should make him more friendly as he will have to start anew with his realm.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2006 17:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I have swapped the males between this tank & the 43.5G, to see if this guy can be tempted by the female. At the very least, her life seems to be happier, as this male is much less aggressive and does not chase her away (so far). I am always trying, without success to show how beautiful these nigerian red's are. The pictures can never capture how much prettier they are than their cousin, the krib.

Here are 2 feeble attempts to share their beauty.

Attached Image:

Together - well, kinda

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
This is very blurry, but I hope you see the flashes of pink, sky blue, and yellows. In real life, the iridescent sky blue (between her pink belly & yellow throat) is just such a vivid colour.

She is really a beautiful fish (by far the prettiest dwarf cichlid I have owned or seen in real life) & I hope she can tempt her new male. She tries very hard to do so.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
As a reminder, here is a previous full shot of the tank. It was wisteria dominated & my anubia is looking better than it does today.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
The wisteria has been removed from the right hand side of the tank (other than the creeping wisteria across the front). Java fern has been transferred across from the 43.5G. Doesn't show here so well, but my crypts are now more easily seen. They are to the left & right of the anubia.

The anubia just will not recover from the mishap with the excel, but I still can't bring myself to cut off all the leaves. Still, it may come to that eventually.

I think that eventually the wisteria in the left rear corner will go also. Probably replaced either by a taller growing anubia or maybe just more java fern, as they are so easy. Any suggestions? Remember this is a low light, low tech tank - so suggestions need to suit that criteria.

I really should wait till nightfall, as I can't stop glare from the opposite window interfering with the full shot, but here we go anyway.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 08:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Anyone who saw my previous pics, will tell at a glance this is not my work. I found it on Practical Fishkeeping magazine site, so I hope it is okay to show here. This is definitely the same fish type as my girl, that I have been trying unsuccessfully to picture. The colours in mine are more vibrant & my girl has more spotting on her tail & fins - but the actual placement of colour sequence (the yellow, sky blue & pink) - that colour placement on her body is identical. The stripe on mine is also darker (read brighter).

She is my prettiest female cichlid I have ever owned.

Still, she can't seem to attract her male. She is onto the 2nd male now & still no action.

If anyone's interested, here is a link to an article (& the original pic) http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=495

Attached Image:

Copyright © Practical Fishkeeping

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 06:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Another change to this plant. I have removed all stem plants and now only have the low, creeping wisteria, crypt, java ferns & anubias. See 2 posts back for the previous look. There is also several new caves (formed out of new driftwood).

Here is the tank today. Ignore the ugly UV filter pls. It is a little bit of a jungle, but it should be easier care. The main goal was to make lots of hiding places for the nigerian reds and more places for them to lay eggs (if only they'd oblige).

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 16:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
There are 2 new plants, one large anubia at the rear, but also this nana - pictured below.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 16:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is a shot of the other nana, the one I damaged with the excel incident. I cut off most of the damaged leaves (maybe one or 2 more still need to go). All in all, it looks better after the cut off.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2007 16:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
a couple of side views follow

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 13:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
another

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 13:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Robyn,

Looking good. The new layout make the tank look bigger. These are pretty much the plants that are in my 10 Gallon and they don't get to out of control.

-Rick

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 15:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks for stopping in Rick and thanks for the comments. That's what I was looking for - plants that don't get out of control, but still provide cover & hiding places for the fish.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2007 22:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies