AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# TW's 23.7G LOG
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTW's 23.7G LOG
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Here's a poor shot of the female.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 06:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
and here are husband & wife together (at least I hope that's what they decide to be)

She's is out & about a little more today (but she runs eg. swims fast) when I approach with the camera). I was going to do a major trim & thinning down of the plants today, but I may leave that so she can settle in & feel comfortable, before I start rearranging her world.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 06:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
Yup,

Looks like a female to me

Maintaining the current plant growth instead of trimming can be a good or a bad idea, it all depends.

If the growth isn't all to wild yet then waiting a little will for sure give the fish some security.

If your growth is so strong that waiting would cause other plants, and/or lower parts of these plants, to be shaded and to die off, then subsequent trimming would have to be so much more severe.

It is a judgement call of the owner, if you ask me.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 09:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Cool, now my A. bitaeniata tefe have laid eggs. I'm not going to get excited though, because the apistos in the other tank - their eggs just plain disappeared. But at least I know that these guys have accepted each other as mates & therefore, not likely to kill each other.

Re: the trim. It doesn't really need it. I just wanted to trim it down so I could see her a bit more through the dense plants. However, as she is now coming to the front a bit more, I'll leave it until it's required.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 10:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Holy Cow

What do you have in your water, Robyn.

Your fish are laying eggs left and right, unbelievable. You should really try to purchase a very rare species, drop it into one of your tanks, and make a fortune of all the fry you would get (may I recomment Zebra Plecos).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 10:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
They might be laying eggs - but the bet at the moment is that I get no fry, but you never know.

They were laid the same as the other apistos, under the driftwood. I found them again when I was about to start the gravel vac & was lifting some driftwood out of the tank - and there they were, a bunch of eggs stuck underneath. These fish have only been in there for 3 days, so I was quite surprised that it happened so soon. I guess that means that they like their new home - guess it's an improvement on the almost bare tank at LFS.

Ingo, your driftwood is big & probably not easily removed, but I wonder if you'd find eggs under yours if you could lift it? Maybe you do get eggs too & they just mysteriously disappear & you just never know about it. Theresa had apisto eggs just a day or so after mine & her's have also disappeared.

If they do hatch before the weekend, they have to contend with some congo tetras in the tank. Congo's will be going on Sunday, but those fish are so quick I wonder if the parents can fend them off. They were a dumb purchase. The guy who was getting me the dehanes (which are africans) said I should have congos as dither fish, as they are same bio-type. I went along with it, but it was wrong. They're too big for the tank, swim too fast & are just too quick to get to the food. The apistos can't get enough to eat with them in there - 'cause they're so slow to come out to eat.

Here's an acrobatic oto, nibbling away on some cucumber.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jun-2006 13:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Well my previously shy female has turned into a terror. The poor male is not allowed to come out of hiding. The behaviour is so different to that of my two apisto Cacateudies. They are always peaceful towards each other, even when she is guarding the eggs.

I can only conclude that she has turned nasty because of the eggs. Right at this moment, I'm not liking the female very much. She ignores the otos, who are even allowed to nibble on the driftwood, underneath which her eggs are attached, but every now & then she leaves her eggs seemingly to check out where the male is & let him know he must stay in the corner.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 14:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
You go girl

Robyn, as long as she is not physically harming the male there should be no reason to worry too much. Only if this behavior continues over a prolonged period of time would I consider changes, like moving the male to a different tank until the span is done (one way or another). A 23G tank is barely large enough as a territory for these fish, I think they require an average of 2 square feet. But I would have assume it is the male who uses that territory and the female hangs with the eggs only.

Well, keep us posted,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 15:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
She tries to nip his tail & chases him away. He seems like a wimp & just runs away, pretty boy that he is.

It seems I can't help but make mistakes & tonight I decided it was time for the congos to go, as I felt they prevented the apistos from getting their share of the food. I am hopeless at catching fish, so out came all the plants & when it came time to add them back, I thinned out the plants considerably & left one whole back quarter of the tank bare (I hope to find a blue stricta or java fern tomorrow, to add a bit of variety to the tank. So the male has less hiding spots & the congos aren't there to share the females aggression.

These fish are certainly slow feeders. They are really lousy hunters. I gave them live brine shrimp tonight & I think the male managed to get some as he hid in the corners and the female certainly got some, but I wonder how in the wild these fish manage to catch anything to eat. They are so slow, unless of course it is the female chasing the male - then she manages to find a spurt of speed.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 16:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Very important: Chill

Don't panic now, all will be fine. I know how it is when one gets worked up in a frenzy, have been there myself a few times and I am sure I will be there again.

Their natural food intake is in form of stalking, not chasing. Mine are excellent snail killers. The move closer to the snail, take a good look, and lauch about 1 to 2 cm forward to eat it. That is their style and that is why other fish have an advantage when flakes etc. are dropped into the tank, there is no waiting required, the food is there. I have the same issue with mine, having 6 rainbows and 2 pearls grab all the food. I adjusted thefeeding to not dump all in at once, manage to feed the others a little away from the corner, and dump some food right in the corner where the Apistos are hovering. And they are getting better at launching themselves at the food faster now.

Patience,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Jun-2006 16:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Don't panic now, all will be fine
I know, trouble is while waiting for the dehanes (which you know I'm not getting) I read some threads in the cichlid forums & often came across quotes such as "my male killed my female" and vis-a-versa. I don't think she's killing him, at least not directly. She just nips his tail if she gets the chance, but what about the stress of being chased & the lack of food (from hiding) - that can kill too. She is just plain nasty to him, he doesn't need to even be near her eggs. Periodically she leaves her eggs & goes searching for him. Funny, the otos can do anything. An oto was in her driftwood egg cave, nibbling driftwood, with his mouth pointed towards her eggs. She gave him a little nip & he turned around so now his tail pointed towards her eggs & he was allowed to stay & nibble driftwood. I think really, she didn't know what else to do if her nip didn't move him - so if only the male stood up to her, I think it would be ok.

Tank is now set up to let the wimp get around a bit more, without her seeing him. I bought some blue stricta, a type of hygro (spelling???) & some more wisteria, to give cover at the back half of tank. Also got a piece of thin curvy driftwood about 4" high, that acts like a fence / divider. Originally it's length was about equal to the length of the tank. I sawed it in half & then off-set them slightly in the tank, with the high plants behind it. Her driftwood cave is in front of this new "wall". As low maintenance front plants, on both sides, I have bunched together a couple of moss balls & also have a piece of driftwood shaped as cave (between the crypts) so these provide little hiding places in the front section, in case he's caught out. You can't see them (intentional), but I've hidden 3 little 1" pots in the rear jungle (sorry, this set-up is all about giving hiding spots to a wimpy male). My slate creations won't be going in the tank. They wouldn't have created hiding places (only swim throughs) and there's no room for them now.

It seems to work - he was able to join in feeding from the live brine shrimp & got quite a few before she spotted him & he ran.

Re: feeding with flakes / pellets. My Cacateudies are getting better at this, but these guys haven't figured it out yet. I see where they are & drop the food so I think it will sink close to them & they always seem to turn away at the crucial moment, just before the food would have been in their vision.

Anyway, it's probably hard to tell what I've done, but here's the pic. Spot the male top/front L.hand corner. Oh, & there's female down below, under the crypt leaf.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 15:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Well, not only is the female a lousy mate for her male, she is eating her own eggs. No wonder she is not bothering to stay & guard them, if she is going eat them herself.

EDIT: She has eaten them all, abandoned the site & hasn't been seen since she ate them all (last sighting of her around 4hrs ago). I'm not worried about her, but I haven't seen the male at all since I got home from work about 7 hrs ago. I hope he's ok.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 10:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
The Wife From Hell

I also hope your male is ok, maybe she will calm down once the eggs are all gone. I think it was Bensaf who mentioned it here, and I know I have read about it, but inexperienced pairs often make mistakes during breeding and are not the best care takers. More often than not they get better the more spawns they have. If you want to keep eggs/fry and your female keeps on eating them, then you may want to remove the eggs into a separate tank. Oh, and also, fish often eat out the infertile or fungus infected eggs from a batch so that other eggs can continue to develop.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 11:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
She is the indeed the wife from hell . But the male has now turned up. He is currently hiding out in the tight space between my breeding nets (platy fry) & tank glass. First time he did that I thought he was stuck, but I know better now, he uses it for cover.

Perhaps during the missing hours they were breeding again, but if so, they are used a different spot. I got excited last night, as briefly I thought I saw him stand up to her & chase her, but it has reverted back to him running away. In a separate thread on Cichlid Central I'm asking whether I should be worried enough to permanently separate them (the males survival is more important to me than if they ever successfully breed. I don't have a spare tank to put the eggs or female into alone, so the eggs will have to take their chances, but the female could go into my 43.5 community tank. As she doesn't bother the otos, maybe she only will both others of her own species. But I'll wait to see if I get any advice on this before I act.

These fish still haven't figured out the flakes or pellet thing either. They seem dopey on this front, & always swim away just as the pellets would be within their vision. When I feed, all I seem to be doing is polluting the tank. They love live brine shrimp though & the male swam right into my net to eat them. He even seemed reluctant to swim out of the net. When the shrimp were all gone, I gently moved the net across, so he would be in open water & not in the net without being spooked by the sudden movement, but he just swam back in there, so I just had to move net out & away.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 01:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

You could also try the following:

- Add the male to the 43.5G
- Wait 2 to 3 weeks until he makes it his home and carves out his area.
- Add the female
- See how it goes

Sorry to hear that they are such lousy feeders. On the other hand, why would they want to go for bread if they can have steak? Meaning: If you feed them brime shrimp then they just may get spoiled and don't want to touch the "processed" food anymore, like a cat who gets hooked on Fancy Feast and then is forced to return to normal cat food. Just a thought.

And him staying in the net may mean: Get me the hell outta here

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 11:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
On the other hand, why would they want to go for bread if they can have steak?
Yes that could be very valid, but I only offered the brine shrimp when I became concerned that I'd bought them home on Saturday & not yet been able to get them to eat, so on Thursday I bought the brine shrimp. Do you think I should withhold the brine shrimp, until they recognise the processed stuff as food?

It is strange, these fish are meant to be tank raised - they should know about processed food, yet don't. My other apistos are meant to be wild caught & they were never a problem to take processed food - seems the wrong way around.

Moving the male might be a good idea - I thought of moving the female, as I'd set up this tank with the ADA, specifically for the dwarf cichlids to mimic the conditions they need, so seemed like a waste if the male wasn't in there. What about if I put the female temporarily into the community tank & if she behaves in there, I could leave her for a couple of months even, give the male a chance to grow & feel like the tank is his - then transfer the female back to his tank & see if anything has changed? No-one on cichlid central has given me advice yet, but I'm sure they will. So I might just wait a few days, to give a chance to get replies on that thread. I'd like to hear from someone who has maybe had apistos behaving this way.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 13:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Honestly Robyn, I wouldn't know how to get them to feed better, and I understand the concern that they may starve just too well. Are there small snails in the tank? If so then they may munch on them and are not all that hungry.

Moving the female out for a while may work as well, in particular if you would re-arrange the hardscape in the male's tank, then let him settle, and basically later add the female back into the tank (now that she is not familiar with it anymore).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 13:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Ingo,

sirbooks has given advice just to leave them, but for me to be the judge if I think she is taking it too far.

In the meantime, I've also posted the same question on a couple of the Apisto dedicated forums & I'll wait to see.

In the meantime, here is another picture of my male.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2006 17:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yes, let's see what the Apisto experts have to say about your situation.

Say, does your male have this black bar through and below his eye? If so, is is black all the time or only once in a while? How about when she chases him? Just trying to exhaust all my possible thoughts on identifying the intensity of the situation.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 11:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Ingo,

My male has a horizontal stripe on his body and iridescent blue near on his face, under his eye. Sometimes there seems to be more iridescent blue along his body, but it's not there now. I haven't really noticed if it changes when chased.

My biggest concern with these guys is now the non eating. Some people on the apisto forums suggested there might be a parasite at play & recommended some meds. Hubby picked the meds up for me today, but I can't believe the packaging - no instructions & not even a mention of the amount of active ingredient per tablet. I've been told by the forum that I need 25mg per litre - but I can't work out what that equates to, without knowing the strength of the tablet. I didn't know this until after lfs was already shut, so this means no medication until tomorrow after work now.

Advice is that apistos can't resist frozen cichlid dinner -but no interest was shown. I've been told they can't resist live blackworm, so will try to get some tomorrow. They weren't interested in the brine shrimp tonight either - but maybe this is because they don't like where I have them. I caught them & placed them in a breeding net (each fish separate), so I can watch to see if they eat & transfer them quickly for treatment as soon as I think necessary.

If ever I buy another pair of fancy, expensive fish - I'll ask LFS to show me them eating before I buy. I'm seriously concerned these fish will waste away.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2006 14:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Sorry about all the worries that these fish create for you. I cannot help much more than I already did try to, but I am no expert on this.

What's the news on the fish in the last 2 days?

I would still say it may be worth a shot to move the female to another tank, the male may not want to eat because he is totally stressed by her. If you move him then he will stay stressed as he has to adjust to a new environment yet again.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 13:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Ingo

Thanks for checking in. They've been stressing me out - more worry than pleasure. Advice from apistogramma forums included the parasite suggestion (for which I gave one dose to the tank) but also a couple of US keepers of these fish said it's unlikely these particular fish will ever take dry foods & likely they'd only take live food or frozen cichlid dinner (they didn't touch the cichlid dinner). I tried live black worms & they ate them, but I didn't like how quickly 50% of worms escaped into substrate before fish even knew they were there. As live food only lasts 3 days & the drive to get it each way is 30mins from home (so an hour trip all up), I was thinking seriously of asking LFS to take these fish back & rang him today to talk about feeding issues. He tells me (now) that with him, they ate frozen hikari brand brine shrimp & bloodworm & that they were eating these well with him. He didn't feed them live food & said these were better, as they are enriched. He said they will not eat the processed dry foods & that I need to feed them these frozen foods & walk away from the tank (I knew that - they are very shy of me). He knew I was inexperienced with Apisto, so I really feel he should have told me about this particular food requirement when he sold them to me.

Anyway, for the first time, I feel a bit more positive. They ate the frozen bloodworm well.

The Apisto forum advice was to move the female away from him to the community tank for around 3 weeks or so & to move some of the hiding spaces around while she's gone. He then will get to feel comfortable in the tank, feel he is the king of the tank (hopefully) & then to transfer her back to see how things go.

An apisto expert who has kept these fish suggested I add 2 pencil fish when I return her, as they come from the same bio type, do not need to school, are not that fast or predatory & their presence may encourage the female to allow the male to participate in the protection of eggs. I've never seen pencil fish, but I'll ask LFS about them. I could add them now, but I want to get the apistos used to me feeding them. Currently male runs & hides when I add food to tank & with competition (pencil fish) food may be all gone before he comes back out to find it. So if he gets the idea I mean food, before I add the pencil fish, that would be better. My other apsitos know I mean food & are always expectant when I walk to their tank, so hopefully these guys will get the idea (now I know what they've been used to eating). I don't think they were ever sick now, just didn't like the food I offered.

I let the male out of the net, but left female in the net. I don't really like her in the net, but I'm not confident that the greedy guts in the community tank would leave her enough to eat. I've tried that trick you say of feeding at 2 different corners when I had a bolivian ram in there (I don't have him anymore) but I found even doing that, the quick feeders always spotted what I was doing & raced over to eat. All it would take would be for one to spot it, and over they'd all race. Maybe because my tank is so much shorter than yours. I don't think she'd stand a chance of getting enough food with all that competition.

The other option is to put her in QT, which is also currently housing my other apistos, but I don't know how the 2 females would go together. I assume there'd be no interbreeding, but I'm not sure, so that stopped me too. My 2 male apistos are very different looking, but the 2 females (while one is most def. prettier than the other) they're similar, so I wonder if the male could make a mistake.

So, my male is getting his time out on his own in the tank, with the female above him in a breeding net.

I know no-one can really help me further with this, other than you've already done. Feel guilty she is in the breeder. I wish they made these breeding nets in bigger sizes, but at least she is eating. She ate live black worm in there yesterday and the frozen blood worm today, so that is something.

Lights are off in the tank at the moment, so no pictures. But one of my anubias that I attached to driftwood fence looks like it's dying & I don't know why that is. Before I bought the driftwood, I had it's roots sitting in the substrate & it was doing just fine, but my plan had always been to attach it to some sort of hardscape, but it doesn't seem happy with the change.

The hygro I added in there seems to be going well, but my crypts are melting. I don't know why, but crypts usually melt on me.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 14:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
As I said, I am out of suggestions on the Apistos, but please continue to keep us posted so we can learn from the process of trial and error.

Uh - I do have one more with regards to feeding: It may only work in a larger tank with lots of fish though. I feed on one corner, and when I approach the tank all Pealrs, Rainbows, and the Apistos are waiting for me. When I only add a little food at a time then the Apistos have no chance to get some with the super fast Rainbows around. So, I add a larger amount at once, about a third of he total food load. This way some of the food can be grabbed by the Apistos. I wait until all food in the corner either floated away or has been eaten, then I repeat until all is done.

On to the plants:

I don't know why the Anubias is dying, is the root (rhizome) free in the water? How is it dying?

Crypts melt so easily, I believe they melt if you just yell at them. Seriously, if you move a crypt even within the same tank it may melt. But after a while (months) they may come back to life, they just don't like moving.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 12:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Ingo,

They both ate the frozen daphnia today. They fascinate me with their feeding habits, now that I'm not so stressed about them. They look at food & seem to think about it, until it is almost too late, before they decide to lunge for it. I'm amazed to think these fish could ever catch enough to eat in the wild - seems most things would have ample time for a getaway, while they think about whether or not to pounce.

Re: the anubia - lights are out again, but yes, root (rhizome) is free in the water. It's attached to my driftwood fence with some fishing line. The leaves are getting holes, ragged edges & are falling off. I have 3 other anubias, and they are all doing well. Some of them came from the one plant, which I divided up.

The crypt has been moved a couple of times, when I was trying to rearrange the tank to create the driftwood fence & hiding spaces for my wimpy male. So it must be the movement that it objected to. I will leave it alone & see if it comes back.

BTW, I remember some time ago in your thread we talked about clay pots for cichlids & if they were needed or not. Indeed, I think in the end they were banned from your tank. I have to say, that unless you have a wimpy male that needs multiple "extra" hiding places, I say not needed at all. I have no fry (eggs either disappeared or eaten by mum) but both my Apisto laid eggs in a natural cave formed under pieces of driftwood. So, clay pots not required (not surprising, as they wouldn't be in nature, but I wonder why so many think they are, including LFS who sold these to me). I have some, but only gave in due to the aggression problem I was seeing but don't tell anyone. I've made sure you can't see them & they are only for extra hiding spots for wimpy male. Because they are small, they take up less room between the plants than driftwood would, so in the end I get more plants by having 3 of them hidden in the back.

Thanks for the feeding suggestion.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 15:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Well another day has passed & I'm still happy to say the food issue seems to have been solved. I've now tried frozen brine, daphnia (spelling?) & blood worm & they are all eaten (with the usual delay while the fish firstly "looks" & then "thinks" & then finally "pounces".

I have noticed some changes in the males personality while he swims in there without the female. He chased some otos today, so I was not too pleased about that. If it gets too bad, then I can always move them. So far, the otos don't seem too phased. They just move on (ever so slightly) & settle again.

Here is a picture of the dying anubia. You can't see the root (rhizome), as I placed it on the back of the wood, purposely so you can't see it.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
And here is a shot of a new plant. It's some type of sword (I don't know which, but I like it's brightness). This tank has a darker look & feel than my other tanks and I think this brightens up the front. I hope it does not grow too big in this non C02 tank.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 13:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is a full shot, showing the new plant's position in the tank. The dying anubia is behind it. The female is in the net you can see and the male is in the bottom left corner of the shot.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 13:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Lastly, here is the best shot of my male I could get tonight. I figure, if I keep on trying, I might one day get a half way decent shot. He's not really purple, but the irridescent blue is fairly accurate.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 13:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I fibbed, this is the last one.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 13:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

About the Anubias: Is the rhizome disintigrating as well? If so then throw it out, it will not recover. Other options could be that you left it outside of the tank for too long while you were dividing it, or at some other point. Or, you damaged it when you trimmed the rhizome, did you use a blade? Is there any new stem growing or has that stopped as well?

I am not an expert on Swords (maybe uncle Bensaf can help) but this style of a sword (unlike chain swords) does usually grow taller and would require to be replanted further back in a while. It looks to me a little like uruguaensis (spelling). I would assume that it should reach somewhere between 10" and 16" in height.

Your Apistos sure don't give you an easy time . I would not be too worried about the male and the Otos, they should be protected enought to withstand a little offensive of the Male. Usually, other fish get bored with bugging Otos as they are so irresponsive.

But I guess his chasing the Otos means that he is establishing a territory, which would be a good thing.

And - Get a better camera . I know you can afford it, given that you shop at ADA

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 13:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Ingo,

Re: the anubia. Lights off in the tank now. At next water change, I'll take a look at the rear side of the wood to see if the rhizome is disintegrating. Maybe it was out of the tank itself for a while, but I did the re-scape in here in co-incidence with a water change. During most of that time, the anubia was floating around in the water that I took out of the tank. After I attached it to the wood, I put it straight back in the tank itself. Unfortunately, I didn't use a blade. I used scissors. Was that a mistake?

I'm not so happy to hear the sword grows 10 - 15 inches. It looks so nice just now, but it will have to go well before it ever gets that tall. I'll leave it for now, until it gets too big. It sounds like chain sword would have been a better choice. Stays smaller, right?
Your Apistos sure don't give you an easy time
But I think I am winning now. Food is solved & I'm much less stressed. That may change if the rejoining of male & female doesn't go well, but I'm feeling more positive. While I don't like the oto being chased, I see it as a positive sign of the male beginning to feel "king of the tank" & that was the whole plan & purpose of removing the female.

Your right about otos being unresponsive. This male apisto is more successful in getting the oto move than either his wife was or the apisto's in the other tank but even though they do actually swim away from him, they only move a little & often swim right back to where the apisto moved them on. For such little fish, they just don't seem to care, so I hope the male does get bored of it soon.
I know you can afford it, given that you shop at ADA
Remember, here in AUS, the Eco substrate I want for the 4ft tank will cost me MORE than the ADA soil cost. Seriously though, I would love a better camera, but it is so far down the list of priorities .....school fees, light for 4ft tank, eco substrate for 4ft tank, plants & fish for 4ft tank (and the list goes on). Camera is on the list somewhere ..........

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Jul-2006 14:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Female apisto released back into the tank tonight & 4 pencil fish added as dithers. So far so good, in fact, the female turned such a bright yellowish golden colour, instead of her more usual brown & the male is obviously trying to impress her - so maybe tonight they will spawn again. Is that a good thing? I don't know - that was the start of the problems last time, so time will tell.

Here is a shot of the tank, without the breeding net. Whilst the new sword stays small, I really like how it looks. I also like the hygro (think that's what it is) at the back. It's a change from the wisteria.

Spot 2 of the new pencil fish. I really like them too.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here is a pic of the female, all coloured up. Watching them tonight, often when the male swam up to her, she would almost turn on her side. It was like she was showing him her belly.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 15:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Sorry, another pic of the happy couple (fingers crossed).

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 15:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
last one for this week

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2006 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Looked up on tropica Echinodorus Uruguayensis that LF suggested my sword might be. Mine doesn't look quite like the picture, but maybe that's because mine is smaller & still more clumpy looking.

Now that the breeding net is gone, this is probably the favourite of my planted tanks at the moment. For some reason, I like it's look better, even though it is a low tech, non C02 tank. It might be the hygro.

Fishwise, things still seem to be going well, with no aggression. They both recognise that I am their feeder & come to me at feeding time. Ahhh, now this tank can start to be a pleasure again, instead of a worry.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 10:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Great to hear that things seem to be going better (if not even good) by now.

I am not sure about the Urug., I think it looks like one that I once had. It was a small plant similar to this one, but it didn't make it. I didn't have enough space to give it sufficient light, it always ended up being shaded.

Have fun,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 00:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Now that I know the sword is called E.Parviflorus and is likely to not get much bigger, I planted a 2nd one.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
In such a short space of time, how things can change. My male is now definitely the king & lets the pencil fish know this, but the chasing of pencil fish seems mainly for show. He has given up trying to bully the otos, as they don't seem to care - but he is giving his female a hard time. She hides & I don't see her for days at a time. She must get particularly hungry by the 3rd day & comes comes out to feed. But she is very timid of the male & I can see by her poor tail, she has reason to run. It's funny too, how suddenly her whole colour can change. Today, she came out to feed & her colour was a really dirty brown. After a feed of frozen brine shrimp, during which time she was chased away a couple of times by the male - she later came out showing her pretty golden colours, turning on her side & showing him her belly. I think she is trying to seduce him Don't think he's in the mood though. She is still trying now. If I didn't know better, I'd think there were 2 female apistos, so different does she look when she's not in the mood.

The 2 new sword plants have grown a bit since I planted them. I might cut some of the very tallest leaves off at next water change. In fact, most things will be ready for a trim. For a non C02 tank, things are growing very quickly - but then, as I've used mostly fast growers, what else can I expect. This tank will always need to stay a little on the overgrown bushy side though, to give the female lots of hiding places. Spot the male, front & centre

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2006 13:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Yippee, my female is still such a lovely golden colour today & swimming near her a few wigglers. There don't seem to be that many, maybe 4 or 6.

I'll ask on the cichlid forum about feeding them.

I guess I won't be doing this weeks water change now - I'll let them grow a bit more first.

She seems to be still flirting with the male, leaving her young ones & showing herself to him. I thought at this point, she'd be more likely to stay & guard them. Hope she can keep the pencil fish away.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2006 12:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
As with all my shots, the picture quality is poor. But look at the white blotches on the wood - those are my wrigglers (unfortunately, she only has 5) with mum hovering proudly nearby.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Another view

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 14:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
last one. Lucky for me, tonight she has picked a spot right in the front of the tank to marshall her brood, so even if my pictures can't pick up the detail, I've been able to watch closely tonight.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 14:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
NowherMan6
---------------
-----
Fish Master
Kudos: 922
Votes: 69
male usa
Congrats grandma! These are Cacs, correct?

Back in the saddle!
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2006 15:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 25-Jul-2006 01:25
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 25-Jul-2006 01:44
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hey NowherMan6, grandma is very excited.

No, these are Apistogramma Bitaeniata Tefe. If you're interested, you can scroll back further in the past page to see pictures of the parents.

She only has 5 fry & I don't know how many she started off with. She & her mate are still adolescents, so maybe that's why she has so few. Her 1st batch of eggs must have been infertile (she ate them after a week) so this is her 2nd try. I've only had these fish since 24 June, so I'm excited to have fry so soon. Really enjoying watching them. Fingers crossed some make it.

My cacs are in another tank. They have had at least one batch of eggs (that I've seen) but no wrigglers as yet.

Thanks again.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 01:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
slickrb
----------
Enthusiast
Go Gators!
Kudos: 47
Votes: 99
male usa
Congrats on the wigglers ! Hope they do fine. The tank is looking good as well!

Rick
See all my pictures at Google Web Albums
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2006 02:09Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

So what happened here?

I am not checking into this log for a few days and when I come back (was busy at work) I see that the former sworn enemies have turned into parents? Unbelievable

Congrats, I guess the male finally figured out a way to keep the female's aggression at bay, just make her a mother and she will be too busy to fight

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 01:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Ingo

Yep, I guess those days I worried over her being dead (she would disappear amid the plants & not be seen for 3 days or so) she was probably guarding her eggs. Never actually saw them in the egg or wiggler stage, just as very tiny free swimming fry. The number has remained constant at 5, so I hope she can carry this through.

She is a strange personality. She is still wearing her breeding colours during all this. If her previous sworn enemy swims close, out she comes, does her submissive tilt to the side to show him her belly - then she dashes back to her brood. But, should he actually come too close to the brood, he is chased off with attempts to nip his tail. Poor guy must be very confused, with all these mixed messages. But all in all, the separation of the 2 worked & he is not the wimp anymore. He has done his fair share of chasing her away too.

The tank has gone from my most worrying to my most interesting to watch the daily antics between the occupants.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2006 05:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
If I keep trying, one day I'll get a decent shot.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 09:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
You know Robyn,

That last shot isn't all too bad, one can begin to appreciate your fish from your pictures almost as much as if seen on a clear shot on the web.

Do you feed anything special there?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 13:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I am really happy with that picture - I don't know how come it worked so well, but it really captures what he does look like. He is quite a pretty boy.

Re: the food. Do you remember all my headaches with feeding these fish? How I thought they were going to starve on me. They will only accept frozen brine shrimp, daphnia & bloodworm. I use Hikari brand which supposedly is enriched with vitamins & is 100% bacteria free. I try to trick them into eating the processed stuff, by mixing it in with frozen food as it thaws - but they are not to be tricked. If they do accidentally swallow some, it is spat straight back out - either through its mouth or surprisingly, out through the gills. The processed stuff just serves to pollute the tank. LFS told me (belatedly, after I worried myself to death for 10 days while they remained on starvation diet) that this is all they'd eat for him. Very strange, as he insists they are from German breeders & are tank bred fish.

I've gotten used to the routine now, but I think if I buy another apisto, I'll ask LFS to show me it feeding, before I buy.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 28-Jul-2006 15:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Here's a shot of the Lady of the tank, still in her breeding clothes. She is down to only 3 or 4 fry. Last night it was 4 - but today, I have only been able to count 3.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 15:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Sorry to hear about the fry loss, but I would assume that the slow growth rate and the community setting both decrease the chance of a successful brood by quite a bit.

Besides the fact that the fry may be eaten by others, tiny food for them is sparse, at best.

But hey, maybe she is not still in her breeding clothes, but instead she is in them again

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 16:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
It's not a community tank. It has only the main attraction (the apistos) 2 dither fish (pencils) & 2 otos for algae. No other fish are planned for this tank (unless they are apisto babies).
But hey, maybe she is not still in her breeding clothes, but instead she is in them again
I think she is hedging her bet both ways. She is still guarding her remaining fry, but definitely displaying for the male when he passes by. He doesn't seem to be taking her up at the moment.

I am using a baby medicine dropper to push frozen baby brine shrimp in their direction. I don't know if they eat it or not, but I can see mum doing so. Hope she leaves some for the kids.

Someone here has already told me it is doubtful any will survive, particularly as she only started out with 5. That is not very many. I put this down to her adolescence & hope that her future broods will prove larger. I will be very disappointed, but will not give up hope, if none make it. I've had the parents just over a month, this was their 2nd batch of eggs, so they are showing promise of being a very fertile pair.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 10:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yes Robyn,

There is no need to be dissapointed if it shouldn't work out this time around, there will be many more chances to come.

If you really want to force a successful fry generation then you can always take more steps to enhance your chances. For one thing, the pencils will eat fry if unguarded. Also, the adult Apistos may start to eat them after a while as they don't guard them for too long and then consider them food. You could also remove fry and have a grow-out tank committed to that purpose (bare bottom etc).

I personally find the success of raising fry in a "normal" tank much more satisfying as it appears to me to be way more natural.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 13:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
If it happens naturally in the tank, that's good. But I won't be allowed a sep little tank for fry, as much as I might like that. I have just been made to close down my hospital tank (I wanted to keep one ready & cycled in case of sick fish).

Anyway, I have been enjoying watching the interaction between her, the pencils & her sometime mate/sworn enemy. If I separated them, I wouldn't get to watch this & I'm enjoying it.

I know I'm going to get very excited each time & one day, some may make it.

I would take the pencils out, but the only reason they are there is to spread out the aggression between male & female. Their aggression is a lot better now, but if I take out the pencils, well, she will have no-one to pick on except for the male. So they will stay & fry will take it's chances.

All your advice is very good & makes sense, but I also agree with your final comment. In the tank is the natural way, so even though success is less likely, surely that will make any success even more exciting.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 14:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
In the tank is the natural way, so even though success is less likely, surely that will make any success even more exciting

Not much to say about this other than

That is the spirit,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2006 22:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Best shot of female to date. She is into approx day 22-23 of guarding her single remaining fry.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2006 13:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
What a difference a day makes. This is Mrs.Bitaeniata today. I'm fascinated how this fish can look so bright & pretty one day (see the pic above, taken of her yesterday) & the next day (today), you'd think she was a different fish altogether. Either she has decided 24 days is enough to guard, or her fry is no longer answering her call, or her fry is no more. At the moment, time will tell, as I'm not sure.

Anyway, here she is in her drab everyday dress.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2006 12:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I have the beginnings of an algae outbreak in this tank & I want to try & catch it before it gets any worse. I heard the planted gang mentioned from time to time that a double dose of excel can help. So for this 23.7G tank, I thought 4ml, combined with maybe a 3 day blackout.

Does this sound right?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 11:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

First to the color change of the female: I am intrigued by the colors these females have, hell - I am intrigued by the gender identification in the first place . My female viejita colored up (yellow) after 3 to 4 days in the QT and has never changed her color back to gray, she is always yellow. Why - who knows!

The Excel: It would be more inportant to identify the algae first as excel does not help against all algae. I think it is most successful against BBA, but dosing is a tender topic as it depends on the plants in the tank (Egeria will be killed, for example).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 13:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi LF

The plants in the tank are wisteria, crypts, java moss, blue stricta, hygro, Sword (E. Parviflorus Tropica) & annubia. Are they ok with the double dose of excel? I'm not sure what BBA looks like, but I'll describe what I see in the tank. I see dark spotting on many leaves & today for the 1st time I've seen what looks like short fuzz or hair on the edges of some leaves. Here's a pic, I hope you can see what I mean.

If the double dose excel would work, do I do this double dose daily - or what is the usual regimen?

Re: the female & her colour change. She's amazing & she does it in a flash. Her personality changes too. When in breeding dress, she is very confident (although no longer the wife from hell she once was). Even though she shows the male her side in submission, if he swims on by - she slightly chases him & gives him a nudge with her mouth. I don't think she's biting him - it looks like she's saying to him, pls don't go - come back But now that she's in her drab dress, she runs away from him. She comes out to feed & swims around freely & while I can't call it aggression, occasionally he'll chase her & she'll run. She'd never do that in her breeding dress. BTW, no fry anymore.

Compare this to my triple red female. She is always yellow. She's had eggs twice & fry (for one week only) I've never seen her change colour. She was yellow when I brought her home & yellow she remains. If she ever changed colour or personality, I never noticed. I'm really sorry for all your gender issues with your cac's. It's such a shame, cause when it works out, they are such interesting little personalities to watch. Dwarf apistos are my current favourites.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 14:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Look in my 125G log on this week's update, there are a few shots of BBA. You describe as dark spotting doesn't seem like BBA, more like green spot algae (Excel would most likely not help). The hair, could be some form of hair algae or staghorn algae and Excel may help there.

I never used a double dosage, always the normal dose for a full tank load, over the course of 7 to 10 days (the latter may work better).

Although I am the last one to know what to do about it, it seems that your algae issues stem from a change in environment, either more fish waste or less ferts from the substrate, or inconsistent CO2, or inconsistent water column ferts, or a combination of all of the above. Even if you fight off the algae with excel now, it will come back if the initial factors are not corrected (I know that one for sure).

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 14:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks LF

Yes, I visited your log after my last post here & saw your BBA. I didn't look really the same, but I wondered if my fuzz is the beginning stage?

Anyway, I think I will try a few days of no light & 7-10 days of normal dose excel.

This is the low tech tank - so no C02 & fish load is light (2 apistos, 2 otos & 1 pencil fish in 23.7G). Ferts & traces are only 1 dose, once a week (each on a different day).

I am fairly certain what caused the problem. When the female was guarding her fry (for 24 days) I read up on ways to help her succeeded in her task. I read these fish are jumpish & sometimes get confused when the lights turn on & off & in their confusion, sometimes eat their fry. I also read that leaving low light on overnight helps with this & also helps her guard from predators (even though the predator was only a pencil fish). So, I bought a low wattage night light for the tank. It was on a timer to turn on just before the main lights turned off & they remained on until the main lights turned back on. So for 24 days, the tank had a light on 24/7. I'm sure this caused the problem & I won't do this next time. The female will just have to do her best, with no night light.

Anyway, that's my theory for the algae problem. Sound's feasible?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 15:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Sound's feasible?
Indeed, it does sound feasible. The increase in light duration may have done the trick.

Let me ask you a question: would it be possible to trim the infested leaves off and just see if algae appears on other ones as well? If you corrected the issue, then no new algae should develop if you remove the existing one.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 20:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

I added a picture to my 125G log that shows you the effects of Excel on BBA, after only 3 days.

Hope you like it,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 22-Aug-2006 23:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
The tank is in day 8 of an excel treatment for algae. Treatment also included a 3 day blackout. Things are looking better in there - it seemed to work. I trimmed down the blue stricta pretty severely, but have left trimming of the hygro & wisteria for one more week.

The green spot from on the annubia has improved heaps, but can still be seen a bit.

Here is a full shot.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2006 15:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
My female has her breeding dress on again for the last day or so. I have been watching her trying to entice the male, but he seems a very reluctant romeo. She does the submissive tilt to the side, but includes a nudge when he swims on past. I'm sure it's come back here nudge, not chasing him away. Tonight I found eggs, but as they are white, I think that means they're not fertilized - so it doesn't look like he did his bit. Anyway, fingers crossed, in case I'm wrong.

Here she is in her breeding dress.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2006 15:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Tonight's post starts on the previous page, which has a whole tank shot, taken after water change.

I've added a couple of those film cannisters talked about earlier. Haven't seem the female use them, but the male just loves them.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2006 15:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Lastly a shot of the male. The anubia in the shot was covered in green spot last week, but has improved heaps. This shot shows a mark in the middle of the male that has worried me for sometime. He feeds, swims & acts normally (for him - which is always as a timid fish). But that whitish spot you see protrudes a little. I no longer have anywhere to medicate him, as I had to shut down my hospital tank & QT is now home to my triple reds. The instructions with the ADA soil I'm sure said not to medicate in the tank. So, I have my fingers crossed but, worry this may eventually be some sort of fatal parasite. Anyway, fingers crossed for him or at least some surviving fry.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2006 15:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Nice pictures and nice fishies. Too funny that the male hangs out in the film canister, I wonder why.

I don't know what the problem with the stripe on your male would be, but I find the "The instructions with the ADA soil I'm sure said not to medicate in the tank" statement very interesting. That is an aspect of this substrate that I didn't know about. What is going to happen if you use meds?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2006 20:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I only put the cannisters in last night during water change. Maybe female didn't use them then, as she was already guarding elsewhere some white eggs. I think white means they are not good, either with fungus or not fertilized. My guess is not fertilized. I think she has abandoned them now, as she is going in the film cannisters now too.

I am positive that the male is hiding to avoid the female - not because she is aggressive (she is no longer the wife from hell) but because she wants him to mate & he's the reluctant romeo. I'm positive when she nudges him, it is a "come this way, big boy" signal, but he just swims away.

He is a very skittish fish. He is scared when I put food in the tank. He eats it, but with each new sprinkle of food, off he runs & then gradually creeps back. If I make a sudden move when I'm near the tank - such as raising my hand to drop food in, off he dashes to hide.

Maybe all this is because he has something wrong with him. I dug out the instructions for the ADA soil system. The soil itself does not seem to have any warnings about medicines. The warning is in the Power Sand leaflet. This is not sand at all, but a volcanic rock & peat-base organic substrate that goes underneath the aquasoil (it looks like pieces of pumice stone). The instruction leaflet says "DO NOT add medicines or chemical to this product". I wouldn't be adding to the product, but to the tank - which I really think is the same thing anyway. So, I guess no medicines in that tank. I wonder if this means I also shouldn't be adding the ferts or traces??? I think it must be ok, as the Jeff you got your wood from - he uses ADA & the ferts.

I am considering getting a piece of Styrofoam (spelling??) & cutting a hole to fit a plastic chinese type food container (don't know if you have the same sort of ones in US). The plan is that the foam will fit tight enough & just under the rim of the container & then the whole thing should be able to float in the tank, but he would be in separate water while I medicate him.

Reluctant to do this, I am the worlds worst fish catcher. This would mean I'd need to remove all plants & wood to catch this guy - not something I'm in a hurry to do.

I wasn't going to do this, but if they have fry again, I might try putting a couple in a breeding net, as insurance against something bad happening to the male. If he didn't have that white mark & didn't spend his time hiding from the wife, I'd rather watch the parents raise them in the tank - it was lots of fun last time.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2006 14:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

The foam/container idea seems good, as long as the fish wouldn't be in there for an extended period as the oxygen would run out rather sooner than later (no agitation) and ammonia would rise quickly as well. A few hours should be ok though, but that is it.

A good time to catch a fish is when the lights are out in the tank. I got the most skittish Apisto last night in no time. The secret is to herd it into a corner section of the tank that is not covered by plants or scape and slowly close in on it with the net.

Fish have characters, I agree. But in general, a fish that prefers to hide (if not a natural hider, of course) tends to be sick or bossed around,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2006 14:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I have no corner section of the tank that is not covered by plants or scape. Front corners of the tank are curved & they can always escape from me there, as the net won't sit square against the curved corner.
A few hours should be ok though, but that is it.
Hmmm, then it probably wouldn't do, as I read up the dose. Every other day for 3 days.

I might try to get the foam on hand anyway and weigh up the pros & cons of treating him in this way. He doesn't appear to be losing weight, which I'm told to expect if he has an internal parasite. I thought this might be what he has.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2006 15:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
When I got home from work, the male was in the back corner & 4 hours later hadn't moved, so I decided it was time for action. Not only that my cac male in the other tank didn't eat yesterday or today & was sitting close to the bottom, not moving much. I really, really like him - I haven't seen a cac with fin pattern as nice as his anywhere in Sydney.

So, I used the chopstick trick to chase them into my net. Either because they are sick, or because the chopstick works, I caught both fish quickly, without removing any of the scape or plants. That is a first.

Earlier I bought one of those really cheap $12 plastic fish/mice etc pet containers which holds only 6 litres. I put a breeding trap in, so one male is in the trap & one male is in the tank. I had a small immersible filter & took some filter material from my big tank to seed it. Then added their 1st dose of meds.

So cross your fingers for me that I didn't wait too long. I think maybe I did in the case of the bita male. I noticed since last night he is panting & not swimming much at all.

Mrs Bita has realised he's gone yet. She still has her party dress on.

Attached Image:

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2006 17:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I'm sorry but I didn't read anywhere what you are treating with. Are you assuming it's bacterial or fungal, or are you just giving him a slew of medicines?

anywho...good luck

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2006 17:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Yes, I wish you good luck as well. It sounds scary, and I don't understand why it would affect 2 fish in different tanks at the same time

Usually, the most common explanation in this case is the tab water or shared utilities between tanks, like nets, buckets, and so forth.

"He doesn't appear to be losing weight, which I'm told to expect if he has an internal parasite." - I have heard (may have been bensaf or tetratech) that fish do not get thinner when having parasites as the parasites multiply and "fill up" the fish.

I am keeping my fingers crossed,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 13:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Matty & LF

I am assuming internal parasite - just because the 2 apisto forums I've been visiting, say internal parasite is very common with apistos & also because I don't know what else to suspect. They both have some different symptons.
that fish do not get thinner when having parasites as the parasites multiply and "fill up" the fish.
Interesting, I didn't know that.

My cac has from the time I bought him worried me with his underbelly shape. Similar to tetratech's female - but he has not exhibited symptons & also seemed fine - so I did nothing. There was no wasting away, not getting thinner or anything - but still the belly shape worried me. Then Thursday & Friday - no eating & just sitting on the bottom, not moving much.

LF, you know all my worries about the bita. Shy, hiding & what not. Combine that with what looks like a scale being pushed outwards from inside. He had been eating & was not losing weight either. The scale has been steadily getting worse & Friday when I came home from work he was sitting near the gravel at back of tank. I went & did the weekly grocery shopping & came back & he hadn't moved. So, I decided it was time for action.

It was recommended that I use Flagyl or metronidazol. I don't know what the situation is in US, but that stuff here is prescription drug only, usually for humans. I have rung a few vets, who all say "they don't do fish". It was suggested if I was on friendly terms with a GP, to ask him to write a prescription for my fish - but I can't bring myself to do that - too chicken.

Next suggestion was Octazin by Waterlife - which I'm told has one of those ingredients - but at much lower strength & not as effective. You used to be able to get this from LFS, but most LFS's told me the product is no longer allowed to be imported into Aus. Go figure that - other Waterlife products make it it in - but not this one.

After being a pest & asking at several LFS (in case of old stock) the LFS where I get my C02 gave me some tablets in an unmarked plastic bag. No name, no ingredients & no dosage instructions - but they verbally tell me it's Octazin & told me the dosage. I'll ask no questions - just glad I have the product.

I am meant to redose every 3rd day, but forgot to ask how long to continue with treatment.

A suggestion also for the bita is to use a cotton bud to put some multifix like meds directly on the damaged scale. I don't want to mix meds, so I'm going to continue with octazin alone to start with.

I have my fingers & toes crossed, as I really like both these fish - even though the bita has caused me a lot of worry, ever since I got him.

Thanks again for the input.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 04:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Robyn,

Although I have no idea about the meds that you got, I would suggest to dose for two weeks. Did they mention anything about a water change in between? I would say that if your fish by now just sits there, within 2 weeks he is either better or ...

About that scale: Are you sure it is a scale sticking out? And only one or a few? Does it look like he has been bitten? How could he have gotten an injury? Can it be that the scale is being pushed out from the inside? Is there a lump under that scale section?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 12:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Mr Bita is not going to make it & I'm incredibly sad about that. He is still alive, but he is on his side. Sometimes, he struggles back upright, but I can tell it is such hard work for the poor guy.

Can it be that the scale is being pushed out from the inside?
That is exactly what I am seeing.
Is there a lump under that scale section?
I think so.

Poor Mrs Bita. I feel sorry for her too. She is still in her breeding dress & it now looks like I will soon have no male for her.

I have redosed the tank one day early, & yes, I do a 50% water change between doses. When I decided on the 2nd dose, it was before he was on his side, but already he was struggling to keep upright & he couldn't swim properly (sort of dragged himself along).

With the cac, he is still upright, but keeping close to the bottom. With him, I hoped all along that I imagined a lump just in front of his anus. Tried to think he just was bloated & needed to poop. I should have acted earlier. I will probably have an easier time replacing Mr Cac (but I hope I don't need to) but don't think I'll be able to replace Mr Bita at all.

I'm sure Mr Bita will be dead by morning, but if Mr Cac is still alive, I might ring around even more vets to see if I can get a prescription for the actual meds that I need.

I'm really frustrated by this.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 13:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I am soo sorry Robyn

This is one of my greatest fears when it comes to fishies. Dying is one thing, but having a fish that one likes to have as a pair and then not getting the other one a new mate is really aweful.

Maybe it is time that you think about euthanizing Mr Bita. If you are most certain that he is not going to make it then all you do is to prolong your's and the fishe's suffering.

Again I raise the question: why two fish in two tanks at the same time? Just by chance?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 13:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Maybe it is time that you think about euthanizing Mr Bita
What you say makes sense & I do think he is past help, but what if I'm wrong. Unless LFS told big porky fibs, I won't be able to replace him. This will probably be one time I hope LFS did fib, I will certainly ask him to try to get me another male - even if I have to buy a pair. Perhaps it was only to make the sale, but he told me on sale that he would struggle to get more, as they never come in (you know, buy this fish now - otherwise you miss your big chance). I can't bring myself to euthanize him, just in case the meds help him over night.

I don't know why one sick in each tank, but I know Mr Cac, whilst symptom-less, had the lumpy & pinched tummy from the get go - just acted so much like a healthy fish, I let it slide on by.

Both tanks are pampered tanks. One is a 20G tank & the other 23G, not overstocked by any means. Both contained one pair of apisto, 2 otos & one of them also had one pencil fish. I don't overfeed & have one feed free day a week. I never miss a weekly water change & the ammonia nitrite are nil & nitrate is low. Both tanks have the ADA soil Ammozonia, which I specially put in there to give them the soft, acidic water they are meant to thrive in. The females both appear really strong & healthy and the fish have both bred several times (just no surviving fry to show for it).

I don't know what else I'm doing wrong.

I did have one LFS tell me once I was headed for trouble because I do weekly 50% water changes. He said this was too extreme & I should do weekly 10 or 20% changes. But everyone else here agrees with the 50% regimen ???

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 14:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I did have one LFS tell me once I was headed for trouble because I do weekly 50% water changes.
Now, that is a bunch of bull ...

If your water temp is about the same, and you treat the water for chlorine/chloramine, then there is need to worry that 50% is too much. Just think about discus tanks where water changes 3 times per week of 50% or more is very common if one want to breed them.

Do you share certain tools between tanks, like algae sponges, nets, buckets to refill, and what not?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 14:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Yes all are shared. I don't have room to store additional 120L water change containers. I have 2 of them - one for removal of tank water & one for adding the fresh treated water. I share nets, but I hang them out to dry each time, which at least in the case of ich is meant to mean nothing can survive. Gravel vacs are also shared. Nothing in the community tank has died for a long time & they share all the same equipment too. Plus, both females appear fit & well, with good body shapes.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 14:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Ok,

I read the words between your lines, meaning "what are the chances that only the male got infected from sharing equipment?". And right you are, but there is of course a chance, albeit a small one. I try to only share equipment that is used to extract water from the tank, except the python for adding water into the tank. I have 4 nets and 4 sponges. When I move fish from one to the other tank I net them out with one net and add them to the other tank with the other net. I know it may be overboard, but this way I reduce a small chance even more.

Next guess: have they been in the same tank at any point in time, like the QT? Or the LFS tank (maybe even more important than the previous question)?

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 14:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Ok, I will get additional nets & algae pads & keep each separate. etc. I will have to stick with the same water containers, as I just have no storage room for others.

They have never been in the same tank. They came from separate LFS. Mr & Mrs Bita moved straight into their dedicated tank. No need to QT them, as the cycling fish were removed when they were added & they became the sole inhabitants.

Mr & Mrs Cac moved into the QT & QT eventually became their permanent home.

However, the otos in with Mr & Mrs Bita did QT with Mr & Mrs Cac, before moving across to their eventual permanent home with the Bitas. Both otos are still doing fine. When I added the pencil fish, I took a chance & didn't QT him, as his presence was urgently required to try to get the female not to beat up on the male (remember she was then the wife from hell)

I guess the nets, algae pads or even the otos could have transferred something & as a co-incidence, for some reason it was the male that had the lower immune system & couldn't fight what was transferred.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 15:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 03-Sep-2006 15:04
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I know it is very unlikely that your fish or nets etc would transfer an illness to the male Apistos only. I assume it is as unlikely that this could have been achieved via food, like live food for your fry.

I guess we will never know for sure what happened.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 15:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Yep, I guess I will never know. I fed the fry frozen baby brine shrimp only.

I found this quote from another apisto forum

I may be more cynical than most but certain generalities seem to apply to Apistogramma. One partner of a pair always dies if you have spawned them once and not salvaged any fry. One partner of a pair often kills the other because no replacements are available. Something they eat disagrees with them and some die. If you really like a certain species and lavish it with the best of everything, it will die.
These fish are perverse; sometimes those you ignore the most live the longest.

Seems true in my case

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 15:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Sadly, Mr Bita was dead when I woke this morning.

Not a happy day in TW's world today.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 22:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
Sorry to hear that Robyn

There is not much else I can say to console you, except maybe that I know how you feel - a mixture of sadness, anger, and confusion.

Hang in there honey,

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 23:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks Ingo

I'm incredibly sad. Though he always caused me a lot of worry, he & his wife also gave me a lot of really interesting tank watching times.

I forgot to include the final part of the apisto quote from another forum I mentioned above, so here it is.

Just keep at it and sometimes you end up with a mess of fry from some rare and beautiful species. Getting there is half the fun and all the expense.

Well, that's what I'll do. I will keep trying to save the male cac & in the meantime, will firstly investigate if there is any chance of getting the widow a new husband.

Thanks for consolations.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 01:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
You are very welcome Robyn,

We are not here only to bicker around about each others tanks but also to be there for each other in times like these.

And yes, getting info on availability of a new male is a good idea, I think to remember that you are looking for a new pair, right? That may be a good move. But it also may be worthwhile waiting a little so see how the female turns out, with regards to illness.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 01:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tetratech
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 1074
male usa
Robyn,
Sorry to hear about the apisto. Some reason I missed this thread.

My Scapes
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
But it also may be worthwhile waiting a little so see how the female turns out, with regards to illness
Good point LF.

Hi tetratech welcome to this thread & thanks for your kind words.

The bad news (apart from the very worst news that my male bita died) is that it's not looking positive for a replacement. There are about 3-4 LFS in Sydney max, who sell apistos (other than rams & bolivans). My best lead was the LFS who sold him, but he has confirmed he does not expect anymore of this type. I've sent an email to the importer who was going to get me the dehane previously, but I haven't heard back. So far, all say no - they've never had one of these ever.

The good news. Phone calls to vets got me nowhere. So I thought I will just turn up on the vet's doorstep, with details of the med I need & throw myself at the vet's mercy. Yay, she gave me the prescription & the cac is still alive. I have done a 100% water change, so I'm not mixing the meds.

Do you think that I should add the female cac to the hospital tank, just to make sure?

EDIT: Mrs Bita has free swimming fry, so my poor sick male must have made a last valiant effort before I took him out of the tank. What should I do, what gives them the best chance. Leaving them with her? There are only the 2 otos & 1 pencil fish & the only place I have them would be in a breeding net in the same tank.

EDIT # 2: I've moved the pencil fish out. Now, all that's left is the otos. Otos are the only ones left to eat the fry, unless the female does this herself. I am going to put the night light back in & just suffer the resultant algae.

So, does anyone think I should:-

1. remove the otos
2. put the fry in a breeding net
3. medicate my female cac (just in case) BTW, she is not the mother I'm talking about, but the wife of the cac that I am medicating with metro.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll ask the same question in the cichlid forum.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 09:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
EditedEdited by LITTLE_FISH
Robyn,

1. remove the otos - I don't think that would be required. I doubt the Otos go after any fry, that is not their food source at all.

2. put the fry in a breeding net - Might not be a bad idea, this way you can feed them directly with baby brime shrimp and such. You probably will have to feed at least 3 times a day, 5 times is better (smaller quantities, of course). Make sure you prvide some hiding space in the net, like clippings from the Wisteria. This will help avoiding too much light in it as well.

3. medicate my female cac (just in case) BTW, she is not the mother I'm talking about, but the wife of the cac that I am medicating with metro. - I would say this is up to you, you know all the advantages and disadvantages of medicating when not required. I would say IF the med doesn't have any side effects then you could do it for the sake of your mind, even if the cac is otherwise just fine.

Hope this helps,

Ingo

QUICK EDIT: If you cannot get the fry with a net, try a turkey baster

Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 11:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Thanks LF,

Can't decide yet on points 2 & 3.

2. I can still target feed them with frozen BBS with my baby medicine dropper, whilst they are in the tank. I did this last time with success. If I remove them from the tank, when it's time to add them back - what if the female won't tolerate them. If they are there, she will tolerate them as her babies. I'll keep thinking this one through. Maybe I should do 50/50.

3. To medicate the female or not - as you say, my call. I just can't decide. I'll ponder this one a bit longer.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 12:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
male usa
I haven't thought about a 50/50 option at all, that sounds like something to think about.

My first impression was that it is a good idea. How many fry do you think you have?

My second thought was more cautious (isn't it usually that way?). What if Apistos have some sense that if the fry start to dissapear that all is lost and they give up on the care?

Again, I don't know what is right or wrong, hopefully the experts in the Cichlid Forum can answer your thread there.

Ingo

Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2006 12:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies